Any one use breedbook.org

Quote:
The cross is a gold columbian (blue patterned?).
This is what unaltered gold looks like plus columbian.

The silkie looks like a het silver (=golden, S/s+) wheaten plus mahoganie and autosomal red like a cocopop serama without the lacing.
The columbianlike restrictor I have to guess.
I'm brooding on a theorie that autosomal red itself can act as a columbianlike restrictor. But it is probably columbian.
Red enhanced golden Columbian?
wink.png

Incomplete (het) columbians are sometimes called ginger (in dutch bantams) for the pullets have patterned backs.
That could be accurate here: Red enhanced golden ginger.
No way that color is entered in Breedbook
big_smile.png

... Or his hackle is somehow bleeched (red columbian)

Well, if his hackle is bleached, he did it himself
lol.png
I'm more into browning up the grey in my hair rather than removing colour
wink.png

Okay, I know it's a subject of debate, but in your opinion, what combination of genes makes autosomal red? (I'm trying to generate him on your chicken calculator, but so far he looks much too yellow)

When I read the Bantam Standard, he seems to be a good match for the ginger red description, with the exception that his tail doesn't seem to have quite as much black as it calls for.

Back in October when he was still pretty young, I asked a (non-silkie) breeder who regularly places very well at fairly large shows with a wide variety of breeds what colour he is, or is closest to. Going through the color version of the APA Standard of Perfection, he was a close match to the picture and description for ginger red.

Back to the cross, so you would geneotype him as S/S, Bl/bl, Co/Co? Any speculation on other genes that might likely be present?

Oh me next!!!
lol.png
these two make me scratch my head and wonder, and any help would be appreciated. What color is he? Mom was a standard wheaten.
AseelGrade1.jpg

How about this guy? I was told he was dun at hatch based on his down color.
OEGxdun.jpg

I do have pics of all the broodstock for at least 3 generations, so if any of that would help let me know and I will dig them out.

Last edited:
Quote:
No s+/s+ Bl/bl+ Co/?
One dose of Columbian is pretty powerful on males.

Autosomal red IS the gene itself. It might be a few genes but my opinion is that when something is said to be multi-gene it is just not fully understood yet.

You can't set it in the chickencalculator but I have a demo-calculator that shows how it would affect chickencolor:
http://home.hetnet.nl/~h.meijers69/overzicht.htm#seramacalculator

Quote:
The top one looks like a gold columbian too. Wheaten and autosomal red make him red enhanced.

The bottom one looks like a dun golden (het silver S/s+) duckwing (or wheaten) male. His shoulders point to mahogany and/or autosomal red.

It would help if you could tell about their sires.
wink.png

HenniesDaddy.jpg

Here is the Red's sire, we purchased him so I'm not sure what all is in his line

Satan.jpg

Here is the Dun's sire
GhostBabies.jpg

Here he is as a chick with Mom, in this case Mom and Dad were full siblings out of a blue wheaten rooster and
Splashes.jpg

these hens
Thanks for the help, I've wondered what to call these guys and what they might throw someday
big_smile.png

Common misconception.
Columbian pattern is mainly the replacement of black breast and wingbows (I mean the part above the wing triangle) by the gold or silver groundcolor. Body black.
The hackle black is not always affected.
On wheaten base the hackle black is reduced (eg buff blacktail japanese),
on partridge base (e^b) the hackle black is enhanced,
On duckwing base (e+) most hackle black is on the inward face of the hacklefeathers or covered.

Last edited:
Henk69,

I have some good chick pics that no one in the US can tell me why they hatched like this.

They are pure silkies that came from my Blue/Black/Splash pen. I have 5 blue hens, a splash hen and a black pullet (Black pullet not laying yet). The cockerel is black, with some silver in his hackles (not much) and I have been told he could carry Lavender.

Based on the colors I have, I expected either blue or black chicks.

These three popped up and probably, all from the same mother. I am not sure which hen is the culprit, and not sure on their backgrounds. Most I hatched myself as chicks last year, with the exception of 1.
2192009004.jpg

2192009002.jpg

Now a little over a week old, I am seeing blue wing feathers, not splash, they are appearing solid in color and not much different than the blue chicks I have in there. Originally people thought they might be Lavender, but they are not turning out that way.
2272009019.jpg

2272009014.jpg

2272009023.jpg

Based on these photos, could you tell me why they hatched so different, and what color you think they might be? What are my options.

Back
Top Bottom