Any one want to join me in waiting for eggs, posting and comparing notes?

So, recall my RIR had laid some eggs, 3 in 3 days, but the last 2 days, nothing. I also noticed her face, comb, waddles, have turned a paler shade of red . It has turned cold again, like a 30 deg. drop and is now snowing, the wind was really bad for a couple of days as well. Do you think she has gone on a laying hiatus due to the cold or is it something I need to be concerned with? She seems fine, eating, active, drinking, etc. Just no eggs. I did notice one of my barred rocks was nesting this morning off and on, but no egg. ?? She also seems fine, affectionate as ever, eating, drinking etc.
New layers do irregular patterns with the laying so often. I am sure that big a drop could effect things for a few days. If she is eating, drinking, and acting normally, I am sure she is fine. My girls have all varying degrees of color in their combs. In fact, with all this crazy weather, the only one who seems to have real red comb is Mr. Duke... I am going to read up about what you can feed to help promote bringing out the red.

Keep us posted as to how she doing..

MB

There is 2 other people with chickens in our neighborhood but they are across the street and around the corner about 8 houses and the other one is about 12 houses down the street. There would be no way they could get there without being seen. Besides that we are not allowed to have roosters in our neighborhood. I Would love to think that she is just off some place being broody but she wasn't showing any of the signs. I just don't get how our why there is no feathers or anything. That really throws me for a loop. My DH and I looked through the BlackBerry bushes really thoroughly and still no sign. We thought we seen some scratchmarks in the bushes but we are not 100% positive they were from Greta. There was not poop anywhere in the bushes. I would think if something got her there would have been feathers or blood. We looked everywhere in our yard and all three of our neighbors us yards and nothing. She was so skittish that there would be no way anyone could have grabbed her. It's just so odd.

Boy I missed a lot. Lol. I was so sad to hear Greta never came back. My egg from today looks different in color slightly but I can't be sure because I used up all my eggs last night for dinner. I am hoping that I have two birds laying. Fingers crossed!

Boy I missed a lot. Lol. I was so sad to hear Greta never came back. My egg from today looks different in color slightly but I can't be sure because I used up all my eggs last night for dinner. I am hoping that I have two birds laying. Fingers crossed!

Here is the new egg.

Is it just wishful thinking?
As a refresher here is an older egg. Both pics are in my 2 year olds hand for an explanation of size.

Hard to tell from these pictures, but it looks like two different eggs to me! Please, the guessing game with who laid what has me a bit batty. I swear, I am going to sit outside the coop with a nice lawn chair and a book, from the crack of dawn, and watch who goes in there, and lays what. I have 3 or 4 figured out, but one of them lays a very large, very deep rich brown egg, and I would love to know who the heck it is. I believe it's from one of my red sex links, but don't have a clue which one. She has laid just about every day for the last month, perfect extra large egg, beautiful color. I am not even sure if I invested in a camera for inside the coop, how I would angle it to catch everyone... here is a picture of my coop inside my run. I am regretting not putting the roof over the entire run, when it rains and snows in there, it's a pain. When I find some money under a rock, I will go the whole length of it. Nice and sunny here today, I have to get going, have to drive down to Long Island, and take care of some business, DH has an appointment in NYC...Won't be back until tonight all,,, have a great day!
MB

Had a Great day outside working in the yard. All the ladies and "Rosco" the Kung-Fu Rooster roamed around and had a great day playing in the dirt and leaves. It was around 70 Degrees, I do feel bad for all of you talking about snow and freezing conditions. im soo sorry. Come visit if you want to thaw out!! I posted a couple Pics. I hope they posted ok.
Can anyone tell me what kind of Bird "Rosco" is? He was our mystery bird we recieved. We arent sure yet.
Hope everyone has a great week.

The Cobb's

I think he's an Easter Egger. He has slate colored legs, and that type of feather coloring is pretty common for an EE rooster. Plus, it's hard to tell in the pic, but I'm pretty sure that's a pea comb. He doesn't have a beard, but not all EEs do. He actually looks a lot like my EE roo, but with the color reversed. Kenny Rogers is mostly black with white striping in his hackles and tail, and green leakage on his wings.

Hard to tell from these pictures, but it looks like two different eggs to me! Please, the guessing game with who laid what has me a bit batty. I swear, I am going to sit outside the coop with a nice lawn chair and a book, from the crack of dawn, and watch who goes in there, and lays what. I have 3 or 4 figured out, but one of them lays a very large, very deep rich brown egg, and I would love to know who the heck it is. I believe it's from one of my red sex links, but don't have a clue which one. She has laid just about every day for the last month, perfect extra large egg, beautiful color. I am not even sure if I invested in a camera for inside the coop, how I would angle it to catch everyone... here is a picture of my coop inside my run. I am regretting not putting the roof over the entire run, when it rains and snows in there, it's a pain. When I find some money under a rock, I will go the whole length of it. Nice and sunny here today, I have to get going, have to drive down to Long Island, and take care of some business, DH has an appointment in NYC...Won't be back until tonight all,,, have a great day! MB
A camera does sound tempting!

New layers do irregular patterns with the laying so often. I am sure that big a drop could effect things for a few days. If she is eating, drinking, and acting normally, I am sure she is fine. My girls have all varying degrees of color in their combs. In fact, with all this crazy weather, the only one who seems to have real red comb is Mr. Duke... I am going to read up about what you can feed to help promote bringing out the red.

Keep us posted as to how she doing..

MB
Thanks MB, actually, yesterday she started laying again, and this morning, first thing while I was cleaning the coop, she laid!! LOL Yesterday I noticed her color coming back as well. I did buy them a hot cake to peck at which is loaded with vitamins and I gave them a little electrolytes in their water yesterday. It's so freaking cold at night I have a feeling she's burning a lot of fuel just keeping warm. I also got 2 shell less eggs two days in a row, not sure who produced those. Anxious to see if I get an egg later today. If so, I'll know it wasn't Lucy and someone else is laying too. Also ate a couple of her eggs yesterday -- OMG, so good. What an amazing adventure this is turning out to be. Can't wait to get a few more chicks this spring.

MB, I like your run. Mine doesn't have a roof either, and it is getting so muddy. I read that sand is good for uncovered runs. If the ground here ever thaws, and the snow melts, I think I'm going to do that. Does yours have bird netting? I had bird netting over mine, but then wound up replacing it with hardware cloth for more protection.

My hen house and run have a long raised garden bed around them. I think I'm going to plant some late winter crimson clover in the bed in the next month. The chickens love clover, and I like the bright red blooms. I need to think of something to plant for this summer that the chickens will like though. Something long blooming. Anyone have any ideas?

The kids are out of school again today. I'm pretty tired of snow days. I'm not even sure how many days out they've had. 8? 12? 20? If the weather is better this weekend, the kids will have to go to school on Saturday. I hate Saturday school as much as they do.

Back
Top Bottom