Any one want to join me in waiting for eggs, posting and comparing notes?

MB - your girls are SOOOOOOO close to laying. Mine started by going into the nesting box, scrabbling around, and moving the dummy eggs, maybe three or four days before I got an egg from them. Up until then they never ever went into them, just not interesting, I guess.

You asked if they always lay in the morning - I'm afraid not (that would make life simple, wouldn't it!!!). However, all my girls started laying early in the morning. It then gets progressively later in the morning, moves about an hour on each day. When they start laying mid-afternoon, they then skip one day and go back to early in the morning.

I was lucky - once they had already laid a few in the nesting box, they returned to it even when they were out free ranging, which they do from about 2.30pm onwatrds till bedtime. Currently 7.30pm here as sun sets about 8.30pm. So, amazingly they return to the coop and the box to lay if they need to do it in the afternoon. I have read people having problems with them laying in secret spots in the garden - but I think that mostly happens when they are broody and they want to hide the eggs so you don't remove them. Anyway, my girls have been super smart and done the right thing - so far!

I bet any day now you will tell us you've had your first egg. I shall here the celebration from here, I think.
ya.gif
SC

This is exactly what I needed to hear beforeI set out for a full day of Christmas shopping! I was just tellind DH that he should leave them in until after lunch to see if we get our RIR to have that all anticipated egg from our RIR. I think she'll be the one. Duke wouldn't leave the poor girl alone yesterday, maybe he knows something. Did you leave yours in the run while waiting? Yesterday I kept them in until 3:30pm, then let them out for the few hours till they head in at 4:45pm.

8:30 for you? You are on the far side of the world to me then eh? Friday is the Solstice... my extra 3 seconds of daylight thta you'll be losing..maybe that will inspire her! Very cold here in New York today.

You are right,,,you will hear the celebration from here!

Thanks!
MB

You asked if they always lay in the morning - I'm afraid not (that would make life simple, wouldn't it!!!). However, all my girls started laying early in the morning. It then gets progressively later in the morning, moves about an hour on each day. When they start laying mid-afternoon, they then skip one day and go back to early in the morning.
That's exactly what my girls do. I also get a lot of nesting box traffic jams. I once found 6 hens stacked in the box fighting for laying time. Another things to note for first time egg folks...the hen might not lay in the box. That first egg can wind up anywhere. Sometimes they just pop them out in the middle of the coop or yard. Especially if your chickens free range, they might make nests under bushes and such. Dummy eggs are really useful that way. It might be a good idea to leave a dummy egg in the box for a little while until all the girls get the hang of laying. Last year I had a Polish hen who I didn't know had started laying, until I heard a crazy egg song and found her under the porch. She had laid a whole stack of eggs on top of the lawnmower over the course of about 2 weeks. Not sure why she chose the mower. All the other girls were laying in the boxes. I had a difficult time training her out of her mower nest.

I just went out to do some chicken chores (scoop poop off the board, fill food, change water), and I reached down to touch one of the hens at my feet and I got a FULL ON OFFICIAL SQUAT!!!!! I was so excited I ran around the coop to check for eggs! LOL! I did manage to get 4 wooden eggs at the local hobby shop yesterday (in the unfinished wood section)--4 for $4, one for each nest box. The only thing in the boxes was the fake eggs. But I did tell the girls that they will not be coming out again until I see eggs. So confined they will be in the run until that time comes (if I can stand not letting them out)! Countdown has begun...

Last edited:
Wow so many new members in the thread. Welcome all!

It has now been 4 weeks since I found my first chicken egg. I am still waiting on finding 14 eggs (17 if you count the ducks and goose) in one day. I did have a 9 egg day recently, I was so excited. Everyone is talking about wooden eggs, I found golf balls work just as well. I changed the nesting area around a little since they all wanted to lay where the goose and ducks were laying, I put golf balls in the new boxes (a 5 gallon bucket laid on its side and screwed to the nesting platform) to encourage them to start laying there. It works and I am finding more eggs in the buckets than in the other areas. I am still shocked that I am getting eggs so early they are only 22 and 23 weeks old this week. I do know that it is most of my older ones that are laying, they all have fluffy butts red combs but not all of them squat for me.

Someone asked about lighting and I will say I do light my coop. I need to add a couple of windows to the coop so it isn't as dark as it is, but I also have a light on from 5am until 9pm in the coop. I think it really helps my girls produce I don't think I will ever not put light in the coop after this experience. I also have heat lamps since we are in the north a bit, we got 6" of snow last weekend and more is expected this weekend. But I did find a heat lamp plug (not sure of the official name) it kicks on at 35 and off at 42 degrees it is keeping their water from freezing and gives them a little warmth without breaking the bank by staying on 24/7.

I was really excited I have found 5 jumbo eggs this week and I hope that is their normal size of egg! I have to share a picture of one of my jumbo eggs. The jumbo is on top the size I am seeing most days is in the middle and the bottom is my pullet eggs. The jumbo will barely fit in a large egg carton. Funny story about the jumbo, when I first brought it in and showed my boys my 7 year old said "A green goose egg". Im going to get a digital scale this weekend so I can start sizing my eggs.

Welcome again all and that first egg find is so exciting, and each day finding eggs is exciting in itself, you don't know if you will find 1 or 15 eggs.

I have a rhode island red and a silver laced wyandotte, both 23 weeks old. I also have two easter eggers that are 21 weeks, one of those turned out to be a roo... Surprise!

Still no eggs. I'm still hoping for some eggs for Christmas. Maybe New Years? Come on, chickens!

That's exactly what my girls do. I also get a lot of nesting box traffic jams. I once found 6 hens stacked in the box fighting for laying time. Another things to note for first time egg folks...the hen might not lay in the box. That first egg can wind up anywhere. Sometimes they just pop them out in the middle of the coop or yard. Especially if your chickens free range, they might make nests under bushes and such. Dummy eggs are really useful that way. It might be a good idea to leave a dummy egg in the box for a little while until all the girls get the hang of laying. Last year I had a Polish hen who I didn't know had started laying, until I heard a crazy egg song and found her under the porch. She had laid a whole stack of eggs on top of the lawnmower over the course of about 2 weeks. Not sure why she chose the mower. All the other girls were laying in the boxes. I had a difficult time training her out of her mower nest.
I can't wait for nesting box jams! Two days in a row I have found my dummy eggs pushed out of the box. Making room for her own I hope! I have this cute image of a lawn mower with a bunch of eggs on the seat.... too cute!
I just went out to do some chicken chores (scoop poop off the board, fill food, change water), and I reached down to touch one of the hens at my feet and I got a FULL ON OFFICIAL SQUAT!!!!! I was so excited I ran around the coop to check for eggs! LOL! I did manage to get 4 wooden eggs at the local hobby shop yesterday (in the unfinished wood section)--4 for $4, one for each nest box. The only thing in the boxes was the fake eggs. But I did tell the girls that they will not be coming out again until I see eggs. So confined they will be in the run until that time comes (if I can stand not letting them out)! Countdown has begun...
Aunt B, maybe we will have eggs at the same day! Wouldn't that be something. I have been breaking down around 2/3pm and letting them out for a few hours. I try to be out there when they do and listen for any commotion. Been quiet though, except for Duke climbing aboard one whenever he can get her to submit. aaccckkkkk!!
I have a rhode island red and a silver laced wyandotte, both 23 weeks old. I also have two easter eggers that are 21 weeks, one of those turned out to be a roo... Surprise!

Still no eggs. I'm still hoping for some eggs for Christmas. Maybe New Years? Come on, chickens!
Welcome to BYC, and our Egg waiting thread! So honored to have your first post in our lil family of anticipating chicken owners! I would love an egg on Christmas, wouldn't that be grand! I really think as Brooster pointed out, the solstice will start us all on our way!

Anyone have any new pics out there? I need to get a good one of Duke tomorrow.

Cheers all!
MB

I was really excited I have found 5 jumbo eggs this week and I hope that is their normal size of egg! I have to share a picture of one of my jumbo eggs. The jumbo is on top the size I am seeing most days is in the middle and the bottom is my pullet eggs. The jumbo will barely fit in a large egg carton. Funny story about the jumbo, when I first brought it in and showed my boys my 7 year old said "A green goose egg". Im going to get a digital scale this weekend so I can start sizing my eggs.

Welcome again all and that first egg find is so exciting, and each day finding eggs is exciting in itself, you don't know if you will find 1 or 15 eggs.
WOW, those are some awesome eggs! I have been eyeing those egg scales myself.. would be neat to have one. How fortunate you can get so many eggs on any given day. I have 9 girls and have wondered if I would ever see a day if all 9 laid. I'm not being greedy Egg GODS... just give me one....just oooonnnnneeeeeee!

MB

Wow! Look at your jumbo egg! Is it a double yolk? I had a Rhode Island Red who started out laying double yolk eggs, and that's all she laid for about 6 months.

We are in the middle of a straight up blizzard today...snow and 60 mph winds. It's very appropriate weather for the shortest day of the year. I went to let my chickens free range this morning, and they were like, "You're joking, right?" But it's great because from here on, every day will get a little bit longer. Now my egg countdown really begins.

Wow! Look at your jumbo egg! Is it a double yolk? I had a Rhode Island Red who started out laying double yolk eggs, and that's all she laid for about 6 months.

We are in the middle of a straight up blizzard today...snow and 60 mph winds. It's very appropriate weather for the shortest day of the year. I went to let my chickens free range this morning, and they were like, "You're joking, right?" But it's great because from here on, every day will get a little bit longer. Now my egg countdown really begins.
Same here Brooster, wind, wind, wind. No snow here though..

I have to rethink my run a bit for days like this. My coop is very small, and I have to make some changes to make their run a bit more winter weather proof. They are under the coop trying to get out of the wind..

Today is a sad day in my family, lost a first cousin who was like a sister to me, ,we grew up together, she was on Pan Am 103. Truly was the longest night for us. She would LOVE my chickens and my little small farmstead.

images

Stay warm, and safe all,

MB

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom