Any one want to join me in waiting for eggs, posting and comparing notes?

We're at -4 this morning. And there's no end in sight to the cold. Next week they're calling for "record breaking cold". Record breaking? Seriously? Two weeks ago our pipes froze for three days. I had to break a hole in the ice in the river, and dip a bucket to get water for the chickens, and haul it uphill. I would have never survived as a pioneer woman. Our house was built before the days of indoor plumbing. They added plumbing later, running the pipes up the outside of the house, which is just idiotic.

I only have one hen laying now, but her eggs are always frozen and cracked by the time I get home. I'm in class all day.

Can you tell I'm grumpy about winter? I hope we both get a warm spell soon!

I understand your grumpiness- me too as I sit here looking at the snow flying, drifting, snow emergencies, and that's just for storm 1, storm 2 is set to arrive tomorrow-- -40 windchills - SICK of this. I wouldn't have made it as a pioneer woman either. I've started heating the water before I put it in the chickens waterer but most days when we get home, it's frozen, so I give them more water and leave their light on a little longer so they have time to eat and drink before roosting. Do you have a woodburning heat source at all to warm your water? I know cold mornings take me a lot more time to get around so by the time I get to work, usually after driving on snowy/icy roads, i'm in a rotten mood! Currently debating on getting more babies this spring, but can't decide how many or what breeds. the whole introducing new birds to a flock keeps me from wanting to do it, but if I am going to keep chickens, I need more than 2. LOL 2 isn't much worth the effort sometimes, even though I love the 2 I have. :)

We have a gas water heater, but our house is heated by wood stove. Yes, it takes me so much longer to get around on winter mornings. Everything has to be preheated...the bathroom, the car, trying to get the wood stove going. We have no heat in the kitchen, and my fingers go numb packing lunches. Even just the time I spend bundling in coats, hats, and gloves is frustrating! And while I'm used to icy roads, it does take longer to get where I'm going.

I finally ran electricity out to my coop this fall. So now the coop has a light on a timer, and a water de-icer and heat lamp on a thermostat switch. The water warmer is great! The only thing I've noticed is that it causes the water to evaporate quite a bit during the day. So I have to carry down a full 5 gallon bucket of water every day. But it's still better than before, when the water was frozen all the time, and I had to carry fresh water down twice a day.

I hear you on the two chickens. You should definitely get some babies! It wouldn't be that hard to introduce them to your flock of two. When my chicks are big enough to leave the brooder, I partition of a small section of the coop using chicken wire. I cut a hole in the wire just big enough for the small birds to run through, and I keep their water/food in the partitioned area. Then if they get bullied (and they always do at least a little) they can into the partitioned area to escape the bigger chickens. Bullying usually only lasts a couple of weeks.

I'm trying to decide what breeds to add this year. There are so many to choose from! I'm thinking about ordering another random assortment of hatching eggs. Those are so fun. You never know what you'll get. What breeds are you thinking about?

Oh My ... I read your story this morning and hope you and the chicks are doing well. Wow that is brutal conditions ... wish we could get some of your snow we need it sooooo badly... wish we could send you guys some of our sunshine (it's getting ridiculous) We'll it may be hard to believe - but we usually are in winter conditions here (we live a 4000) and contend with freezing temps (usually) and during those times I have used a heater base

We have a gas water heater, but our house is heated by wood stove. Yes, it takes me so much longer to get around on winter mornings. Everything has to be preheated...the bathroom, the car, trying to get the wood stove going. We have no heat in the kitchen, and my fingers go numb packing lunches. Even just the time I spend bundling in coats, hats, and gloves is frustrating! And while I'm used to icy roads, it does take longer to get where I'm going.

I finally ran electricity out to my coop this fall. So now the coop has a light on a timer, and a water de-icer and heat lamp on a thermostat switch. The water warmer is great! The only thing I've noticed is that it causes the water to evaporate quite a bit during the day. So I have to carry down a full 5 gallon bucket of water every day. But it's still better than before, when the water was frozen all the time, and I had to carry fresh water down twice a day.

I hear you on the two chickens. You should definitely get some babies! It wouldn't be that hard to introduce them to your flock of two. When my chicks are big enough to leave the brooder, I partition of a small section of the coop using chicken wire. I cut a hole in the wire just big enough for the small birds to run through, and I keep their water/food in the partitioned area. Then if they get bullied (and they always do at least a little) they can into the partitioned area to escape the bigger chickens. Bullying usually only lasts a couple of weeks.

I'm trying to decide what breeds to add this year. There are so many to choose from! I'm thinking about ordering another random assortment of hatching eggs. Those are so fun. You never know what you'll get. What breeds are you thinking about?
Oh boy, totally wood heated, that is something. I know what you mean by cold mornings though. So, since I have 2 bully breeds, a RIR and a barred rock, I was thinking about maybe easter eggers? I would love a marans or a brahma, need something that does well in heat and cold and can tolerate confinement. I'm scared to let them free range again since my partridge got killed. That hawk still comes around I see him just about every day. :( I just can't decide, and I was thinking about getting 4 more. Do you think I need a rooster?

Oh boy, totally wood heated, that is something.  I know what you mean by cold mornings though.  So, since I have 2 bully breeds, a RIR and a barred rock, I was thinking about maybe easter eggers?  I would love a marans or a brahma, need something that does well in heat and cold and can tolerate confinement.  I'm scared to let them free range again since my partridge got killed.  That hawk still comes around I see him just about every day. :(  I just can't decide, and I was thinking about getting 4 more.  Do you think I need a rooster?
Shoot the hawk first!!

ha ha, someone else suggested that too. :) I'm a pretty poor shot so I'd probably end up shooting the dog or myself

Be really careful....I hate them also but birds of prey are federally protected around here......with a heavy fine to go with it...... LOL if I shot one..I would already have a really deep hole dug. !!! LOLOL Not sure if I could hit it anyway but they are not fun to have around.

hu.gif
I have 2 RIR, 1 dark brahma, and 1 golden laced wyndotte......can anyone tell me by this picture....who laid what?
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom