Any other chicken-loving teachers out there?

I'm a kindergarten teacher - we're planning a garden this year, maybe, just maybe chickens next year...

I found this site while rescuing the chicks from my daughter's third grade classroom project. The teacher had a lot of experience raising chicks but the year my daughter was there, she used a different source for eggs and didn't have a place for the chicks to live after the third graders were finished with their project...

Quote:
x3

Many of my friends are teachers and some even have chickens.

Well I had to come out of my semi retirement for a thread like this and show my support.
hugs.gif

We do a container garden and then when we hatch we usually have some families lined up to take them. About 3 years ago we worked with the county and built small coops to help families help themselves by having the eggs and selling them too or raising some meat birds.
Quote:

I have nothing but respect for teachers. Especially now when everything they do is watched and criticized so much. Some people tend to forget that teachers are human too and make mistakes just like everyone else.

I love when teachers hatch eggs in school. If they can't do chickens, some do butterflies and that is a good project too.

Thank you, everyone! With high-pressure testing and dire test score consequences on one side and machete-like budget cuts from the state on the other, sometimes it feels like we're being beaten by a negativity club most of the time.
hide.gif
If it wasn't for my FABULOUS (if hormonally challenged) class of 6th graders, it would hardly be worth it. But I DO have a great class who are excited about science, and who, well, put up with math because they know it feels good when the light finally dawns, so it's worth it.

Nice to hear some positives!
frow.gif

--Nikki

I particularly admire those of you who are willing to take on the middle schoolers. I remember how vicious we were at that age, and think about having to deal with over a hundred children just like my son...I shudder!
lol.png

What I think is interesting about the whole public school "thing" in this country is most people who complain about them are public school educated, most of them think their school is fine, but other schools are terrible; and most seem to blame the teachers. What they don't seem to see is the policies that are set a levels far above the teachers, teachers handicapped by testing requirements (schools must be held accountable), and budgets that do not fund enough. All of these policies that cripple schools come from elected people; i.e. people are getting EXACTLY what they asked for.

Stepping off my soap box....

Teachers have my utmost respect. I appreciate the good ones, recognize that not all are good, and frankly admire the ones who inspire children. I know that I could never do it.

I play a little mental game here on BYC, with the teacher/school rant threads. I predict how soon someone will say "and this is why I homeschool" and I also try to predict how long it will take for a specific rant on a specific school related topic will degenerate to a generalized screed on why public school is failing, and costs too much...

I'm waiting here too.

hide.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom