Any other chicken-loving teachers out there?

nikki1

Songster
8 Years
Oct 16, 2011
Eatonville, WA
I'm a 6th grade teacher starting out in the hobby/pet chicken thing. Anyone else out there an in-the-trenches teacher? There are often anti-teacher rants, so it might be fun to show the other side of the coin!

--Nikki
frow.gif

Yup. I'm a sub for middle/high school age kids. The mother of one of the kids I sub with regularly is a secretary at one of the schools I frequent. When she asked him about me he said... " oh, yeah! I know HER! She's always talking about her chickens!" Haha! So true. Poor kids!
lau.gif

12 years working as a teachers associate and trying to finish my degree. The rants frustrate me because they often take one bad experience and generalize it to all public schools...

ETA: fixing tpos because the cat is trying to lay on my keyboard!

Last edited:
I'm not a teacher, but there are some really great people on here that are! Bluesub, grillmaster33 and writerofwords comes to mind immediately.

As a non-teacher, I'd like to say thank you guys for who you are and what you do!

I am a 10+ year special ed teaching assistant. Having chickens is a lot like having students. The one thing that comes to mind is when one chicken runs somewhere, they all run there too. It's a great conversation/teaching tool. A lot about why responsibility for raising a flock is much like life...you get out of it what you put into it. I Love teaching!!
smile.png

Quote:
x2. I feel like you have an even more difficult job teaching the youth of today than in my generation, due to my generation!
barnie.gif

I WANT my (step)kids, and grandkids, to know more and do better than I did. That doesn't seem to be happening, due to all the whining about how 'unfair' teachers are, and school is.

Wait 'til the coddled kids hit real life. It's not for the faint of heart.

Hi there, yes I'm a teacher, thank you Sheaviance 1! I teach 6th grade also, used to teach high school, I do a lot of hatching in my classroom and I have a lot of birds at home. The trenches can pretty deep on here, welcome to them! I also have several after school clubs, they do quilting, crochet, sewing, cooking, and a lot of volunteer work.

I have read about several teachers bringing incubators and eggs into the classroom to go through the entire 21 day lesson about how they form and eventually hatch out a cute chickie. I think it is a GREAT science subject. The kids learn so much and the end result is adorable. Then they will always appreciate how a chicken came to be.

Back
Top Bottom