Any other disease that presents as coccidiosis but isn't? Urgent help needed!

so sorry
hugs.gif
I am dealing with similar issue with one of my year old hens. i don't think she is going to make it either.

Thanks! I just hate not knowing what happened to the two of them. I don't like being in the dark and not having a plan of attack. I would like to prevent this PLUS these were my son's new birds and he does not handle animal death well.

If you really want to know what happened, have the roo necropsied. That way you will know for sure and there will be no guessing as to whether or not they were contagious. Most state labs will do them for little/no fee. Contact your local extension office or your vet to see if they can tell you where to take him. If you decide to do this, put him in a plastic bag in the fridge. You want to keep him cold but you don't want to freeze him, that will damage tissues needed for diagnosis.

So sorry for your loss
hugs.gif

I have a question I have a sick chick that doesn't want to walk but can and can stand and found under heat lamp acting tired and not active at all. So I picked her up and have her wrapped up in a warm towel. I am giving her vitamins and water. She is shaking she is dying I think.

Last edited:
I had a similar incident happen with one of my roos. He was about 3, and started not acting himself, but was still eating & drinking. However, lost a lot of weight, his comb shriveled, eventually face turned pale, & finally after about a month of going down hill, he finally died. Just never did figure out what happened! Then, after investigating, I'm pretty sure was some form of cocci~even though I wormed, & treated with Sulmet, gave electrolytes, etc etc. Hated it so~was my fav! None other have been sick that I can tell. Never seen a chicken last so long~usually get sick & will die rapidly. Not sure what else I could of done. Still wish I knew what happened for sure!

I am wondering if I should treat the last leghorn with something? Today is the last day of Corid in the water for two pens (today is Day 5).

I am finding myself watching her very carefully and feeling very paranoid. Even though all animals were tested at the Swap, I am wondering if they could have picked up something there? I have no clue.

Should I deworm her or is she too young?

Swaps only test for certain things...others can sneak by. I would continue Corid treatment until day 7 and then give them a rest. Feed yogurt or some other kind of probiotics to replenish their good bacteria load. Good luck with them!

I will continue with it for two more days then. No other chicks are sick. The last leghorn looks a little ruffled to me this morning.

I also added vitamins and electrolytes to their water. I don't want to be too aggressive in treating her and kill anything good in her system but I don't want her to die either.

Back
Top Bottom