Any PC Geeks? Clock Problems...

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Laurajean, Jun 10, 2011.

1. Laurajean

Laurajean Slightly Touched

Apr 2, 2010
    New Hampshire
    I mean "geek" in a loving way of course, lol. I've noticed in the last month or so that my clock (lower right taskbar clock) somehow becomes slow throughout the day. At first I thought it was happening from it being left on over night, but I started shutting it down regularly, and it still happens. When the computer starts up, the clock is correct. As the day wears on, it slows down gradually until it's about 10-15 minutes slow. I've double clicked on it and gone to the "Internet Time" Tab and clicked "Update Now". Sometimes it updates and jumps forward several minutes to the correct time, and other times it gives an Error message saying it could not update.

Any ideas what is wrong or how to fix it? I have Windows XP Media Center Edition, Version 2002, Service Pack 3.

I hate googling computer problems because I always end up sifting through a bunch of junk/spam type sites. Thought I'd ask here first.

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Unfortunately Ken is in bed. He could help. If you still have issues tomorrow, I will point him your way.

3. Laurajean

Apr 2, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Quote:This has been going on for a month or two now, so I'm sure it won't change by tomorrow. Thanks Deb!

4. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    There is a little battery somewhere that has to do with that. I don't know where but when mine ran down the tech guy said stop cutting your computer off till I can change it because it would lose synch with the server....or something like that.

5. Laurajean

Apr 2, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Quote:Do you mean stop shutting down the PC until it gets changed? I've heard something about a little battery somewhere having to do with odd problems like this before, thanks, I'll have to look into it!

6. AngelzFyre

AngelzFyre Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2007
    Pell City, Alabama
  7. Turkeyrangler

Turkeyrangler Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    By Lake Superior
    Quote:There is a small battery on your mother board that needs to be changed. It is round about the size of a watch battery (quarter size or smaller most times). Take it out(our have someone who has some computer experience take it out) and take it to Kmart, Walmart or any place that sells watches and get a new one. I'm pretty sure that will fix the problem.

8. Laurajean

Apr 2, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Quote:I just tried it. Didn't get any error messages, but only time will tell (no pun intended) whether it worked or not. It's usually several hours after I fix the time that I notice the clock slows down, so I'll have to pay attention tomorrow and see if it keeps time. I sure hope so because that was super easy. I'll post an update tomorrow when I've had a chance to see if it's worked. Thank you so much!

[​IMG]

9. Laurajean

Apr 2, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Quote:There is a small battery on your mother board that needs to be changed. It is round about the size of a watch battery (quarter size or smaller most times). Take it out(our have someone who has some computer experience take it out) and take it to Kmart, Walmart or any place that sells watches and get a new one. I'm pretty sure that will fix the problem.

Hmm, okay. Well I just tried the suggestion above yours and won't know until tomorrow if it worked or not. If not, I'll go to Plan B, replacing the battery. I think I know what you mean, I think it's inside the back of the tower, near the bottom and toward the back? Seems to me I replaced one of those years ago on a different PC. Thanks, if the other fix doesn't work, I'll change the battery. [​IMG]

Edited to add: I just noticed you said "on the mother board", so I should be able to find it pretty easily. It's kind of like those CR-2032-type batteries, right?

Last edited: Jun 11, 2011
  10. AngelzFyre

AngelzFyre Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2007
    Pell City, Alabama
    Quote:I just tried it. Didn't get any error messages, but only time will tell (no pun intended) whether it worked or not. It's usually several hours after I fix the time that I notice the clock slows down, so I'll have to pay attention tomorrow and see if it keeps time. I sure hope so because that was super easy. I'll post an update tomorrow when I've had a chance to see if it's worked. Thank you so much!

[​IMG]

I'll keep my fingers crossed too! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Have a good morning! I'm off to sleep before the chickens wake up! LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by