any place to buy sexed silkies?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by SecretHavenFarm, Oct 6, 2009.

1. ZooMummzy

ZooMummzy Queen of the Zoo

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    I've heard nothing but great feedback on MPC and will definitely be ordering my next set of chicks from there. I like the small groups you can buy and the sexing part. I know it's not 100% but it's better odds than I get at the feed store!

2. SecretHavenFarm

SecretHavenFarm In the Brooder

Oct 1, 2009
    Shadow Hills, CA
    I guess im gonna order my chicks from them then.

I was just shocked because here I am thinking it just a $7.00 charge to sex them, type in my amount that I want to order and almost spit my drink when my total came up. [​IMG] I didnt know it was PER CHICK. lol But I have re thought it and think its worth it to not worry about 20 rooster running around. geesh

3. dianer29

dianer29 Songster

Aug 31, 2009
    Secret Haven Farm: I just visited Nature's Hatchery and looked under SILKIES,it stated straight run only. Is there a page on their website that sexes the Silkies as I cannot locate that information. Thanks.

4. suburbanminifarm

suburbanminifarm Songster

Jul 29, 2009
    N.San Diego County
    Buy them sexed, it's worth it. Hatchery quality silkie roos can be quite ugly and unappealing - looking when mature. There are several that someone dumped at my feedstore right now and have been there for 2 weeks- no one wants them. [​IMG]

5. SecretHavenFarm

Oct 1, 2009
    Shadow Hills, CA
    Dianer29 The only place I found that sexes them is MyPetChicken.com

6. dianer29

dianer29 Songster

Aug 31, 2009
    Oh thats what I thought too. I would like to get those colors.I will wait to see what develops with mpc flock I have currently,as I have 7 and need to see if any turn out to be roos. No big deal just have to change a few things around if not all pullets.
    SILKIES....bet you can't just own one....................

7. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Crowing

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    Me, I just hatch and hope. I'm not into hatchery quality or hatchery prices for sexed hatchery quality birds. I buy good eggs and sell/give away or cull the males I don't want in every breed I own, including the banties.

I only went with this latest batch of hatchery bantam birchen cochins because it's the express route to getting more birchen into one of my lines of sizzles. Since I only want the color genes type doesn't matter as much. I have an awesome smooth blue birchen sizzle roo and need both silkies and the BBC's to move on, I have far too few pullets. So pullet silkies and pullet cochins and pullet Sizzles are the project for the winter.

It was supposed to be simple - just BBS Sizzles right?

Oh no, of course not - in that first batch of eggs was this spectacular smooth blue birchen aka lemon blue sizzle who is flawed ( he's got a red single comb instead so next generation must be to silkies!) but color wise to DIE FOR. We fell in love. Sigh, more coops, more runs, more work. Chuckle.

Silkies are just awesome. I hope everyone luck in getting in their girls, one way or another.

Want a picture of him? Don't want to hijack the thread...

8. SecretHavenFarm

Oct 1, 2009
    Shadow Hills, CA
    Walkswithdog, of course I dont mind pictures [​IMG] I am just getting into chickens and love looking at any and all pictures!

9. ZooMummzy

ZooMummzy Queen of the Zoo

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    Quote:Really? That is so sad. This is my hatchery Silkie Roo and he is gorgeous...in my opinion. I have had no trouble rehoming (he goes tomorrow to his new family) because he is so beautiful. I hope the little ones at the feedstore find a home. You never know what a treasure they might be when they grow up. My little ones were very ugly when they were young but are really pretty now.

[​IMG]

10. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Crowing

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    Here's the guy who started all this extra hatching, just to get him a few silkie girls.

[​IMG]

That's my Sheridan. Ain't he something???

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: