Any problems eating chickens killed by a predator?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by DavidGG, Nov 9, 2011.

1. DavidGG

DavidGG New Egg

Aug 19, 2011
    A couple of days ago, some of our 8 1/2 week old chicks got out of their run, and three of them were killed by what we think was a coyote (though it might have been a neighborhood dog). One was carried off (just a pile of feathers left behind) but two were still in our back yard - one was missing its head, and the other had a small puncture wound. My son saw the animal run across the yard and raised the alarm.

So it wouldn't be a total loss, I've plucked and eviscerated the two remaining birds. Although they're not very big, the two of them together should make a reasonable main dish for our family of four. My question is whether I should be concerned about any health issues stemming from the fact that they were killed by an unknown animal. Thanks for any advice.

2. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    I would be concerned if I were you. Especially not knowing what species did in your birds. Most predatory wildlife carry some manor of parasites...lots of them. Humans are suseptable to many of them.

3. EggsForIHOP

EggsForIHOP Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    TEXAS
    Yeah...I'm pretty brave and all...but when cause of death is unknown like that...I tend to let it go and not stress over it going to waste so much as how to prevent it...parasites, funky diseases...you never know and my vote is always not to risk it. I hate to waste things, I'll save some useless stuff for ages trying to find a use...but when it's got injuries from an unknown source, I just let it go rather than risk the health of others here.

4. PatS

PatS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Northern Califonia
    A bobcat got a couple of mine and I got to them right after they were killed. I was careful to cut off any bitten bits. I went ahead and processed them and ate 'em up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by