Any problems with keeping jap quail in a fish tank?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Mek, Apr 10, 2011.

1. Mek

Mek Chillin' With My Peeps

Umm just wondering if there are any problems keeping Japanese Quail in a fish tank... (minus the water of course)

Also I am in Australia and I am wondering if there is any brand of feed that is higher than 23%

the only one I can find so far is:

http://www.lauckemills.com.au/poultryfood2d.html

2. mhwc56

mhwc56 Chillin' With My Peeps

i can't help you on the feed issue but i don't think fish tanks are a good idea for coturnix. Tanks hold in moisture and that breeds unhealthy bacteria.

3. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Fish tanks only work well for young quail as it holds in heat well. As for feed, I will look into my book (of notes) on brands in Australia that may help you with your birds. It may take a few hours as I have to tend my birds [​IMG]

4. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Umm just wondering if there are any problems keeping Japanese Quail in a fish tank

THEY DONT SWIM WELL [​IMG]

5. BobwhiteQuailLover

BobwhiteQuailLover Country Girl[IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.

Sep 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Quote:THEY DONT SWIM WELL [​IMG]

Rofl! [​IMG]

6. Picco

Picco Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    NY
    Japanese quail produce a lot of ammonia (much more per pound than chickens) and would be unhealthy in an aquarium. I feed my adult Japanese a laying ration which has 20% protein. Growing quail need very high levels of protein but adults can do just fine at 20-25%.

7. MobyQuail

MobyQuail c. giganticus

Sep 10, 2010
    Quailtropolis
    Quote:THEY DONT SWIM WELL [​IMG]

^ made me chuckle.

and comments make sense about the ammonia and trapping bacteria. good points.

8. Rozzie

Rozzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    That was good, JJ!

Aquariums would also be hard to clean. In order to have a large enough tank for just a small number of birds, you'd be getting into aquariums that are far too big to carry to a hose. You'd end up having to remove the birds, clean out the bedding, hose the sides down, scrub the thing, then siphon the water out. No thanks!

9. Mek

Mek Chillin' With My Peeps

I just got my incubator and I am pregnant with 8 chicken eggs to see how it goes before I purchase some quail eggs.
    I can put prolly about 48 quail eggs in it.

The fish tank that I have measures
    1000mm length
    380mm wide
    600mm tall
    (divide by 25mm to get inches)
    With glass lids (which I will replace with wire)

its not been in use for 8 years.

My second solution if the fish tank is not viable to keeping the bath tub or the shower. ... there is no way I can cover the top of the bath tub but I can shut the door.... the shower is nice and tall though.

So between the fishtank, the bath tub and the shower where should I put my Quail chicks?

My long term solution is to move them to aviary cages that I have outside under the patio but I only have two cages up here cleaned and ready to go and I think I can pinch two empty cages from my sister's place. So I can hopefully have 3 breeding sets and one grow out pen type thing.

Does this sound like the right amount of cages for the amount of birds I am incubating?

10. OzawkieBantams

OzawkieBantams Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2010
    Ozawkie, KS
    I have raised two batches of coturnix in a fifteen gallon fish tank. No issues.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by