Any problems with chicks via USPS in Southeast?

HerdAndHome

Chirping
Apr 23, 2024
Chicks via the US Postal Service topic is widely covered, but I am wondering if anyone in Georgia (Southeast in general even) ordering chicks from afar are having trouble receiving live birds? 3 recent negative reviews of Meyer Hatchery from Tennessee claim dead and dying chicks, each claiming 3 days passed and chicks not surviving. It's a postal problem as opposed to a hatchery problem. So, I'm sitting on pins & needles here and my chickrens aren't hatched or even coming until end of June!

Last edited:
I don't think it's just there. I'm in Wisconsin and ship hatching eggs out and in and this year thus far has been horrendous in the number of days Priority mail gets them delivered. Sometimes it's been a week, and sometimes we could see via tracking they sat in some distribution center for over a day, even three days once. Our hatch rates are down tremendously compared to past years and the USPS is the cause.

I don't think it's just there. I'm in Wisconsin and ship hatching eggs out and in and this year thus far has been horrendous in the number of days Priority mail gets them delivered. Sometimes it's been a week, and sometimes we could see via tracking they sat in some distribution center for over a day, even three days once. Our hatch rates are down tremendously compared to past years and the USPS is the cause.
Thank you for your honesty and experience. My neighbor had 12 delivered, 11 arrived and survived for a day, 2 died overnight. 9 remain. It's not about the money, and I hate pointing fingers. I wish I had the option of overnight delivery but it is not offered. I understand that my next option is a local hatchery. The breed offerings are much less but I can drive and pick up.

Just got my new batch from Meyer today in Atlanta. Everybody made it fine. DO NOT trust usps tracking...mine got to Atlanta after one day then it said they were accepted back in Cleveland the next afternoon. I have no fingernails after that one...

Just got my new batch from Meyer today in Atlanta. Everybody made it fine. DO NOT trust usps tracking...mine got to Atlanta after one day then it said they were accepted back in Cleveland the next afternoon. I have no fingernails after that one...
Thank you! I'd have been gnawing my nails too! Did you telephone them when the tracking said they were in ATL to make sure they actually were? I signed up for USPS's informed delivery hoping I'd be better able to keep an eye on when they were due.

I live in Oregon. I had 18 ship from Cackle Hatchery on 5/20, they arrived 5/22. 9 of them were dead on arrival. My 9 replacement chicks were just shipped Monday 6/3 and they did not arrive today. I don’t have much hope of them surviving. I won’t be ordering replacements again if they do not survive, it’s just so sad.

I just received a shipment of 10 turkeys today and my hatchery told me not to pay attention to the USPS tracking. They said it is not reliable and to not waste my time with it.

I’m in Georgia and I’ve had chicks delivered in 2 days and also had some that didn’t make it to me til 5 days. They spent the weekend stuck in Atlanta. But I still had 6 survivors out of 9 chicks in that order. So I call them my miracle chicks!

Back
Top Bottom