ANY REALLY "YOUNG" FOLKS THAT REMEMBER THE SIXTIES AND FIFTIES?

the carhops at Dog N Suds drivein-       The first time the family went to a drive in movie theatre  we saw"GYPSY,"    I still remember some of the songs from it.   

The first movie I ever saw was John Wayne in "The Sands of Iwo Jima". It was a very rare guys night out. My Dad, my brother, some neighbors and I went to see it. We still had a 1948 Ford pickup.

Power steering? What's that?
lau.gif

It was one of those newfangled inventions like syncromesh. Remember double clutching?

Burke's Law.
The whole family driving to the Dairy Queen in the evening or even after dark for Dilly Bars.
The drug store in the old Victorian office building downtown that had a real soda fountain where they served the floats and pops in paper cones in a metal holder.
The locally owned 21 flavors ice cream parlor
Dressing up to go to the evening movies.
Going to a restaurant (always downtown) after school concerts, and other events for desserts or even a late supper and dessert.
Crinoline rainbow colored petticoats that were unpleasant to sit in, but made your skirt puff out like a bell.

Anyone drive a car with a 'hill holder'? Push in the clutch and tap the brake - my old Studebaker would set right there on the hill until you re engaged the clutch. This new driver sure loved that - no slipping the clutch.

WOW! Are you guys bringing back some memories. Things I had long forgotten. Let me think, what can I add? Ok, how about this? Farfel the dog and N E S T L E S choooclat.

I remember visiting a cousin and being able to play hide and go seek outside AT NIGHT on a hot summer night under the street lights and trick or treating after dark and knowing when it was time to quit by the fire sirens going off.

Rollerskating rinks! It was where the cool kids hung out. No helmets, no knee pads, no fear and only occasionally a broken bone.

Ben Franklin where you could go in with just a little money and buy your mom a present of a huge beautiful dark blue bottle of that awful Midnight in Paris perfume and have mom open it up on Christmas morning and gush how wonderful it is but when you told her to put some on she would always say oh no she had to save it for very special occasions and you bought it!

Roller skating - the first time that I went, I fell on my butt so many times that my undershorts were shredded - TRUE!

A good and safe Merry Christmas to all.

Burke's Law.
The whole family driving to the Dairy Queen in the evening or even after dark for Dilly Bars.
The drug store in the old Victorian office building downtown that had a real soda fountain where they served the floats and pops in paper cones in a metal holder.
The locally owned 21 flavors ice cream parlor
Dressing up to go to the evening movies.
Going to a restaurant (always downtown) after school concerts, and other events for desserts or even a late supper and dessert.
Crinoline rainbow colored petticoats that were unpleasant to sit in, but made your skirt puff out like a bell.

POODLE SKIRTS!

Anyone drive a car with a 'hill holder'? Push in the clutch and tap the brake - my old Studebaker would set right there on the hill until you re engaged the clutch. This new driver sure loved that - no slipping the clutch.

YES! Did anyone other than Studebaker make those? Those were great, especially driving the downtown Seattle Hills coming off the ferry.- and going up those hills and hitting all of the lights wrong.

My brother told me he thought some of the Subarus had hill holders, too.

Diamond Reo farm trucks.

The little camping trailers that had a boat on the roof - some of them looked suspiciously like a 1954 Ford station wagon from behind, especially the round taillights and shape of the back end.

Remember "three on a tree" and automatics that had Park and Neutral right next to each other and Reverse right next to the forward gears?

Or the glow in the dark magnetic religious statues - Jesus for Protestants - and Virgin Marys for Catholics - that went on the unpadded steel dashboards? We never had any, but a lot of the folks at the Nazarene Church across the street did.

May be more like the 1970's but I loved the Monkees and the Partridge Family had a huge crush on David Cassidy. I'm still waiting on my sea monkeys I ordered thru the mail.
I have a flocked tree now :oops: they must be improved because the snow stays on really good. great Thread!

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE

We are enjoying a peaceful, slow Christmas up here in the northwoods. Pa is outside right now pulling snow off the roof and I am snuggled up with a warm puppy on my lap watching old Christmas movies. Most of the family has already called with promises to come up in the spring :hugs. (We always have big family to do up here every father's day).

I loved and cherished all the craziness of Christmas when the kids were small but I have come to really appreciate our quiet more little house on the prairie style winters. It's like going full circle back to my beginnings. Besides, I don't think I miss all the worry and stress that came with trying every year to create that perfect Currier and Ives Christmas. Old fashioned family Christmas' are a lot of work!!!

Some things I miss. The skating parties on the lake, the sleigh rides.........

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom