Any reason to not allow chickens to crawl under shed/coop?

Ours was framed on the ground on 6x6 pressure treated with the floor joist on top. We had a ground hog take up residence but it has long disappeared. Our only other concern would be snakes, Pine, King, Hog Nose, Garter and the infamous Timber Rattler. The dig was out side the run so no reason for us to stick an arm into a space were you can't see what may have taken up residence.

Hey all,

I am working on plans to build a new 8x8 shed-style chicken coop and run. My ground is sloped just a little and I will need to have the back corner on a 12" block/post. This corner will be inside the run, so I need to decide whether to allow the chickens access underneath the shed or whether to block it. I live in KY, and our humid summers can get pretty rough, so I think they would like the opportunity to find cool shade under the coop. However, this area would be so close to the ground there would not be room for me to crawl underneath if I had to go get a chicken. Also, not sure about moisture or other concerns. Obviously, I would need to secure the other corners of the coop so that they couldn't escape or predators couldn't get under the coop as well, but wondering if there are other problems I'm not thinking of.
You mentioned one ...not being able to crawl under to retrieve chicken if it's injured or sick.

Back
Top Bottom