Any Russian Orloffs owners here?

FreshFeather

Hatching
12 Years
Jun 11, 2007
I just bought 10 older chicks and they are wild as hell, untouchable...is this a skittish breed or will they settle down the more they get handled?

big_smile.png
Where did you find your's? I got mine from private people, they originally came from Ideal.

My babies are kinda wild, but their parents are sweethearts! I'm so excited about this breed! The hen follows me everywhere, and I LOVE the rooster! I just got a pair this spring, and their chicks are looking great! I think they'll settle down in time.

Mine aren't as docile as our RIRs and light brahmas that were raised with em, but they are pretty calm, they let my 2 1/2 year old son pick them up. They are less skittish than the buff brahmas.

TheHerd.jpg

Thanks for your input...I happened to meet the fellow that was selling them at my local feed store, we got talking and he lives just down the road and said he really wanted to get rid of them and was talking them up that they are very rare and very hardy, well before you know it without doing my own research on the breed, I have 10 wily chicks in my backseat! Then when I do look them up, I find they are not good layers and are primarily a show and meat bird! ANyway, as soon as I can sex them I'm only keeping a few hens, the rest gotta go so if anyone is interested let me know. I will say they seem to be beautiful examples, although some have a tremendous amount of white on them which I read is a fault? I think it is kinda cool looking, two of them look like little bald eagles, their heads are almost cmpletely white! I'll post some pics if I can figure out how.

Back
Top Bottom