Wondering if my experience with these breeds is typical...

LGM

In the Brooder
Dec 28, 2020
Southeast Michigan
I bought 8 chickens two years ago, and they have exhibited very different personalities, far more different than I had expected.
1. As they are aging and I am considering getting some more, I am wondering if others have observed the same characteristics or whether mine are different from what is typical for the breed(s). I bought 2 of each: golden laced Wyandotte, Silver Laced Wyandotte, Speckled Sussex, and Jersey Giant.
Speckled Sussex: by far the noisiest and more curious. She likes people the most and loves back scratches. She is quite assertive to get food and treats. But her complaining can be a nuisance. (One turned out to be a rooster so had to rehome, so only one Speckled Sussex.)
Jersey Giant: the most standoffish, least friendly of all, but hearty and dominates the rest of the girls. Won't let me reach into the nest box without pecking at me. Not pets at all.
Silver-laced and Golden-laced Wyandottes: These are in the middle for temperament. They sometimes let us scratch their back, but stay aloof most of the time. Not aggressive at all. Just skittish. They don't peck at me when I reach into the nest box, they just scoot over or leave.
2. If I bought these breeds and want to add some more to the flock, do you have any suggestions? The poor Speckled Sussex gets picked on a lot because she is smaller than the others, so I'm wondering if I should add more of them or will they get beat up. But I love her personality. Are there other breeds I should consider that would meld well with this batch and be more personable? I'd love to hear other perspectives.

I bought 8 chickens two years ago, and they have exhibited very different personalities, far more different than I had expected.
1. As they are aging and I am considering getting some more, I am wondering if others have observed the same characteristics or whether mine are different from what is typical for the breed(s). I bought 2 of each: golden laced Wyandotte, Silver Laced Wyandotte, Speckled Sussex, and Jersey Giant.
Speckled Sussex: by far the noisiest and more curious. She likes people the most and loves back scratches. She is quite assertive to get food and treats. But her complaining can be a nuisance. (One turned out to be a rooster so had to rehome, so only one Speckled Sussex.)
Jersey Giant: the most standoffish, least friendly of all, but hearty and dominates the rest of the girls. Won't let me reach into the nest box without pecking at me. Not pets at all.
Silver-laced and Golden-laced Wyandottes: These are in the middle for temperament. They sometimes let us scratch their back, but stay aloof most of the time. Not aggressive at all. Just skittish. They don't peck at me when I reach into the nest box, they just scoot over or leave.
2. If I bought these breeds and want to add some more to the flock, do you have any suggestions? The poor Speckled Sussex gets picked on a lot because she is smaller than the others, so I'm wondering if I should add more of them or will they get beat up. But I love her personality. Are there other breeds I should consider that would meld well with this batch and be more personable? I'd love to hear other perspectives.
I think Silkies are a very calm and we'll behaved breed! And in my experience light Sussex and Blue Austrolorp are also really nice and calm breeds. My French Cuckoo Maran and Austrolorp mix are so friendly they wanted to hatch some babies this summer!

I also had a light Sussex and Red star mix that loved sitting on my lap and I would always go out on rainy days to find earth worms with her. She was literally the nicest hen I've ever had, but I guess the stray cats didn't like pur friendship so this big mean tom cat took her one mourning and I've tried to catch him eversense!

My Sussex is my favorite also. 😊 If you want friendly and sweet breeds, I would suggest Orpington, Bielefelder, Naked Neck, & Australorp. Or add another Speckled Sussex or a Light Sussex!

If you want another smaller breed of chicken that is very friendly I would try a Dominique. Mine is extremely attached to me, jumps up on my shoulder or into my lap when I’m outside just to cuddle and take a nap. She sees me when I come out the door and paces back and forth like she can’t wait to be near me. She also can hold her own despite her size, and doesn’t get picked on by the rest of my flock though she’s the smallest. I chose easygoing breeds for my flock though. No idea how she’d handle a Jersey Giant, but she’s a quick little thing, and dodges my other girls when they feel like challenging her.

I recommend reading the reviews on the chicken breed profiles on this site. A lot of people have written about their experiences with different breeds, and I found it very helpful when looking for which breeds to add to my flock. Here is the one for Dominiques:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/reviews/dominique.10898/reviews

And here is the full list of breed profiles with reviews so you can look up other breeds you’re interested in:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/reviews/categories/chicken-breeds.2/

I’ll also mention that your Sussex sounds like my Welsummer in personality. She’s very friendly and chatty. She was the first of my chicks to want to just sleep on my knee, but now that she’s older and they’re all foraging more, she’s less inclined to be a lap bird.

Back
Top Bottom