Any safe paint for coops?

cvlcite

Chirping
Sep 5, 2019
Florida
Hey everyone! I recently built a coop for my chickens and I’d like to paint a mural on the sides of it! Does anyone know any good non-toxic safe paints I could use? I’ll be painting on wood so if anyone knows any methods for preserving the paint (possibly keeping it waterproof) I’d appreciate it!

Using a good exterior paint would last the longest, you could buy the smaller quart sized containers of just primary colors and mix small batches for each color for your mural. If you don't like mixing your own paint colors you could try acrylics and seal it. Here in the south the sun tends to fade paints much more quickly though and I've never found anything that has the same staying power as Duramax, which is an exterior latex paint. As long as you allow most paints to cure and offgas sufficiently, it should be safe for your chickens. I painted my first coop inside and out with Duramax with no issues. I hope you'll share pictures when you're done!

you could buy the smaller quart sized containers of just primary colors and mix small batches for each color for your mural
Home Depot sells sample size paint cans - just 8oz. - which would be convenient for this purpose, to avoid getting lots of colors in large sizes or having to mix colors. And it will still be the right kind of paint - exterior. I wouldn't trust art/craft grade acrylic paint outside, it may not hold up to the sun and the elements. The colors can fade even with a good layer of paint sealer on top. Exterior paint is made to last outside.

Back
Top Bottom