Any serama owners?

LostBoi73

Songster
Jul 2, 2021
United Kingdom

Hi im mulling over adding these quirky little birds to my flock, but i need to know if i can or am willing to give them the environment they need? I have a pen i can use for them and food wise they will be spoilt! However we do have other chickens and like our chickens to free roam on our land aprox 14 acres . We mainly have bantam x but we do have 1 or 2 that are larger . Non of which are agressive. Obviously when i want to breed from them then i dont mind them being in the pen for a few weeks but i wouldnt want them segrigated all the time. Although we have quite a few birds and many from various ex-show winning stock many years ago. They belong to my mum and aunt who unfortunately have got to the stage they struggle to cope now. So i have taken over looking after the animals , i figure if im going to do this i may aswell get some of my own chickens. Id also like to show ,maybe not at the highest of standards but just for the enjoyment of it. Would they fit in on my small farm?
I have already got some ayam cemani's and have utterly fallen for them! I also have started to raise derbyshire redcaps as i do live in derbyshire and the are very rare . Id like to help keep the breed going and raise awareness of them. But id also like another breed to take to shows and a saw these at a show the other week and was mesmerised by them. We live in quite an exposed area weather wise and it can get quite cold in winter but i guess every where dose lol, but we defiantly get more than our fair share of rain. And it can get muddy at times. The needs of the birds have to come before my wants . So if i have to love from a far then so be it?​

I think it's up to you, as long as you've got the space, shelter, feed, etc. I've had my seramas in with other bantams and medium-sized birds (ameraucanas, Polish) without a problem; just integrated as usual. I keep them in a run, however. I know of at least one breeder that lets her seramas free range, but I've seen one too many hawks and owls to be comfortable with letting my bantams roam.

I think it's up to you, as long as you've got the space, shelter, feed, etc. I've had my seramas in with other bantams and medium-sized birds (ameraucanas, Polish) without a problem; just integrated as usual. I keep them in a run, however. I know of at least one breeder that lets her seramas free range, but I've seen one too many hawks and owls to be comfortable with letting my bantams roam.
We have very few predators. So that wouldnt be an issue, i have the space and am already feeding many chucks . How much could a tiny little bird eat lol.

I had two serama chicks and of course they both were Roos. But I do want to keep one of them, I have to find at least two hens I don’t want him to be the only small one ya know? 😂

Back
Top Bottom