Any Siberian husky owners?

Pics
How a husky should look

stacks-image-33b7428.jpg
hredirect2.jpeg

With more research I am leaning towards malamutes rather then huskies.

Pros
less independent*
They seem slightly less hyper (maybe?)
More reliable with cats
I like their looks a bit more then huskies
Mushing (carting maybe?)
Intimidating (maybe? I can’t really tell with dogs)

cons
Big (worried since it would be my first puppy as well as first large dog)
Bit worried about dog aggression
Also a bad watchdog
No off leash as well

*I forgot on the husky one that I would like a dog that comes to see what I am doing

There are a LOT more cons......

Not just big but also dominant and powerful
The hair!! Oh that hair! They shed constantly....a lot. It is difficult at best to clean it all up constantly. Then they blow their coats which takes that shedding to a whole new level. They need regular brushing and during coat blow that means daily.

They are a dominant type dog. Not just meaning they don't listen. They can be dog aggressive as well as human aggressive.

Malamutes can be aloof and independent in addition to dominant and powerful. They take an experienced handler.

I do NOT recommend them as a first dog. ESPECIALLY if as stated you cannot really tell if they are intimidating.

They aren't less hyper so to speak than huskies. They are heavier so less likely to climb out of chain link enclosures like huskies do. They are bred to sled so require a LOT of exercise. Being powerful and bred to have that pulling in them walking, jogging can be a real DRAG especially if they decide to pick up the pace and chase a squirrel.

There are a LOT more cons......

Not just big but also dominant and powerful
The hair!! Oh that hair! They shed constantly....a lot. It is difficult at best to clean it all up constantly. Then they blow their coats which takes that shedding to a whole new level. They need regular brushing and during coat blow that means daily.

They are a dominant type dog. Not just meaning they don't listen. They can be dog aggressive as well as human aggressive.

Malamutes can be aloof and independent in addition to dominant and powerful. They take an experienced handler.

I do NOT recommend them as a first dog. ESPECIALLY if as stated you cannot really tell if they are intimidating.

They aren't less hyper so to speak than huskies. They are heavier so less likely to climb out of chain link enclosures like huskies do. They are bred to sled so require a LOT of exercise. Being powerful and bred to have that pulling in them walking, jogging can be a real DRAG especially if they decide to pick up the pace and chase a squirrel.
It would not be my first dog, just first puppy and dog of that size (my mother has more experience with big dogs not sure of size).My current dog is quite stubborn so I am used to that. By intimidating I mean able to put burglaries off (with my knowledge of the breed they are a bit intimidating, but I don’t know what people who don’t know much about dogs think) I am carefully with all large dogs. I understand that they can be aggressive and dominant, I am firm and confident with handling dogs. Still sounds like a bad idea?

Thank you!

By intimidating I mean able to put burglaries off (with my knowledge of the breed they are a bit intimidating, but I don’t know what people who don’t know much about dogs think)
If we're assuming that our average burglar doesn't know anything about dogs, then a 100 pound dog that looks like a wolf that is probably barking pretty loudly would be intimidating, at least to me as the supposed burglar. I'm super comfortable with large dogs and know a lot about dog breeds, however.

It would not be my first dog, just first puppy and dog of that size (my mother has more experience with big dogs not sure of size).My current dog is quite stubborn so I am used to that. By intimidating I mean able to put burglaries off (with my knowledge of the breed they are a bit intimidating, but I don’t know what people who don’t know much about dogs think) I am carefully with all large dogs. I understand that they can be aggressive and dominant, I am firm and confident with handling dogs. Still sounds like a bad idea?

Thank you!

What breed or mix is your current dog?

Some sort of spitz most people say Pomeranian, she is about 7kg

So a small dog.

Handling a 75+ pound dog is vastly different.
Is there a breeder near you? Maybe see if you can do a meet up to learn about that breeders line of dogs.
Don't let them think you are looking to buy one but that you are learning about the breed so that when the time comes you can make an informed decision. You need to know the good and the bad about any breed you are looking to add to your household. Make it clear that you want to make an informed decision so you choose the right fit for your lifestyle.

One other thing about the Malamutes.....they hate the heat. It gets over 75°F and they are miserable. They will dig wallows in the snow and lay in those refusing to come inside. About the only time I don't see panting is when it's less than 50°F out.

Back
Top Bottom