Any Siberian husky owners?

Pics
whats a alan?
A typo.
I see the post has been edited, and now says:

In fact, a young energetic GSP or even Lab might be way more willing to pull and run run run than some of the mushing breeds tbh hahah

Okay if I don’t go by mushing then what breeds is about 20kg, stubborn, good with cats, high energy and preferably a spitz
I forgot to add that it also needs to put off burglaries, which I don’t think samoyed would do
Maybe a German Shepherd, if you get the right one. Or a cross that is part German Shepherd.

It might not be stubborn enough for you, and might be a little too big. But some of them are high energy, I think they have a reputation as guard dogs (so the reputation might help the dog deter burglars), and I'm sure you can train most of them to tolerate cats.

They aren't quite a Spitz breed, but they have some features in common (especially the pricked ears and the face shape, which are important to me-- I don't know what details are most important to you.)

I'm pretty sure that show-line German Shepherds are quite different than working lines, and pet lines are probably different yet, so you might need to check with several breeders before you find the right kind for your purpose.

A typo.
I see the post has been edited, and now says:

Maybe a German Shepherd, if you get the right one. Or a cross that is part German Shepherd.

It might not be stubborn enough for you, and might be a little too big. But some of them are high energy, I think they have a reputation as guard dogs (so the reputation might help the dog deter burglars), and I'm sure you can train most of them to tolerate cats.

They aren't quite a Spitz breed, but they have some features in common (especially the pricked ears and the face shape, which are important to me-- I don't know what details are most important to you.)

I'm pretty sure that show-line German Shepherds are quite different than working lines, and pet lines are probably different yet, so you might need to check with several breeders before you find the right kind for your purpose.
thank you!

Any dog can be trained to bark, tho, so I think that a samoyed could be a good match.
Most of the places that I read about samoyeds call them excessive barkers, actually, and if you google 'samoyed barking' I see a lot of 'how to get your samoyed to stop barking' and 'how to train samoyed not to bark'.
View attachment 2720889
Samoyeds do seem to be a good match except one breeders said they have a high pitched yap :th . apparently they do bark (yap :hit) at everything

Samoyeds do seem to be a good match except one breeders said they have a high pitched yap :th . apparently they do bark (yap :hit) at everything
Hecc
from what I've seen on youtube they're a bit deeper bark but obviously breeders know better
maybe you could find a breeder who's dogs have a deeper bark, or if male or female dogs have deeper barks, you could get one of those?

Hi! I absolutely adore sibes. I have raised them for over twenty years, and they are a super intelligent, strong-willed, curious, independent breed. With that said - I really think it comes down to the relationship and trust you have with your dog (and that goes for any dog, no matter the breed). I currently have two sibes 8 and 7 yrs and a black lab 1 yr. The sibes were both rescue dogs (got them when they were both older pups, from families who didn't have the time for them).
They have both done extensive marathon training with me (they are fantastic running buddies). In the last year one was diagnosed with hip dysplasia and arthritis and the other has just slowed down, but they still love to run, I am just much more careful with the terrain and distance. They can be trained to live with cats as they still want to please you (ours have always gotten along well) but I have seen them chase other cats we dont know (along with porcupines, rabbits, squirrels, deer, turkeys.. if it runs they run after it - high prey drives). They will realize it's family. We also have chickens and ducks, and while I don't trust them freely with them, they are protective over any other animals around them.
I love my girls to pieces, though they do keep me busy. They get bored easily and must have a good amount of exercise daily or they become beasts, even in their middle age. They still out run my 1 year old lab, their energy is crazy. I also feed a home-cooked diet to make sure their nutrition is up to par, especially with the running they do.
They blow their coats twice a year... its insane the hair that comes off them (you'll spend 20 minutes a day for a month brushing).
I wouldn't call them gaurd dogs, but they do sense when someone is not friendly and will let you know it. They are not big barkers but will sing wholeheartedly (even with the coyotes).
Every dog is different. My black and white husky is free all the time with the lab and wont go anywhere, stays with you no matter what your doing (great at helping dig holes!). On the other hand, if I let my red and white one loose.. see ya. The world is her oyster and she tries to get them to go too (those adventures usually end up with a trip to the vet after a porcupine encounter).
Good luck with whatever you choose - nothing quite like a great adventure with a best friend - hope everything works out for you!

Attachments

• 20210314_160224.jpg
    20210314_160224.jpg
    744.2 KB · Views: 2
  • 20200429_065824.jpg
    20200429_065824.jpg
    417.3 KB · Views: 1
  • 20200428_194719.jpg
    20200428_194719.jpg
    252.4 KB · Views: 1
Hi! I absolutely adore sibes. I have raised them for over twenty years, and they are a super intelligent, strong-willed, curious, independent breed. With that said - I really think it comes down to the relationship and trust you have with your dog (and that goes for any dog, no matter the breed). I currently have two sibes 8 and 7 yrs and a black lab 1 yr. The sibes were both rescue dogs (got them when they were both older pups, from families who didn't have the time for them).
They have both done extensive marathon training with me (they are fantastic running buddies). In the last year one was diagnosed with hip dysplasia and arthritis and the other has just slowed down, but they still love to run, I am just much more careful with the terrain and distance. They can be trained to live with cats as they still want to please you (ours have always gotten along well) but I have seen them chase other cats we dont know (along with porcupines, rabbits, squirrels, deer, turkeys.. if it runs they run after it - high prey drives). They will realize it's family. We also have chickens and ducks, and while I don't trust them freely with them, they are protective over any other animals around them.
I love my girls to pieces, though they do keep me busy. They get bored easily and must have a good amount of exercise daily or they become beasts, even in their middle age. They still out run my 1 year old lab, their energy is crazy. I also feed a home-cooked diet to make sure their nutrition is up to par, especially with the running they do.
They blow their coats twice a year... its insane the hair that comes off them (you'll spend 20 minutes a day for a month brushing).
I wouldn't call them gaurd dogs, but they do sense when someone is not friendly and will let you know it. They are not big barkers but will sing wholeheartedly (even with the coyotes).
Every dog is different. My black and white husky is free all the time with the lab and wont go anywhere, stays with you no matter what your doing (great at helping dig holes!). On the other hand, if I let my red and white one loose.. see ya. The world is her oyster and she tries to get them to go too (those adventures usually end up with a trip to the vet after a porcupine encounter).
Good luck with whatever you choose - nothing quite like a great adventure with a best friend - hope everything works out for you!
Thank you!

Hecc
from what I've seen on youtube they're a bit deeper bark but obviously breeders know better
maybe you could find a breeder who's dogs have a deeper bark, or if male or female dogs have deeper barks, you could get one of those?
My mother only wants females, so no choice there. Maybe they are high pitched for their size? As long as they aren’t Pomeranian high pitched it should be fine

My mother only wants females, so no choice there. Maybe they are high pitched for their size? As long as they aren’t Pomeranian high pitched it should be fine
I'm sure that they aren't pomeranian high pitched
I can't seem to find a video of one barking, only howling, but some of them do a little bark before they howl, and they're not that high pitched

Back
Top Bottom