Any signs before they start laying?

Nicci0110

Songster
Mar 15, 2023
Senatobia, MS
Hi, I am curious if there are signs to watch for to know my ladies are going to begin laying. I know I'm a while off but they are about 12 weeks now and I want to be prepared. I have 6 total. One cockerell and 2 rhode island red, and 3 barnyard mixes that also have rhode island red. 20230318_130047.jpg

There are several different signs that they may possibly be getting close but the only one that counts is when you see an egg. The others are all "maybe".

Squatting for you or for a rooster is a good sign but I saw a 13 week old pullet squat for a 13 week old cockerel and she did not lay for another 6 weeks. Squatting is not one I rely on.

The comb and wattles turning bright red is a good sign. Many pullets change from pale orange or yellow to bright red as they get ready to lay, it's a sign to the rooster that they need their eggs fertilized. Sometimes they can start laying without the comb and wattles turning, sometimes other things can turn the comb and wattles bright red. I consider this more reliable than squatting but it's not perfect either.

Sometimes a pullet starts looking for a safe nest as much as a week before she starts laying. If you see them all of a sudden scratching in your nests and checking them out you may see an egg within a week. Again it doesn't always work but it is a good sign.

The width between the pelvic bones change as they get ready to lay. How much obviously will depend on the size of the pullet and your fingers but with a "normal" dual purpose pullet two fingers usually means not yet, three fingers means real soon.

If the vent it tight and dry it means not yet. If the vent is larger and softer it generally means real soon.

I've had pullets of similar breeds lay their first egg at 16 weeks, I've had some wait 9 months. It's not purely a breed thing, each is an individual. That's why I say it's when you see an egg. Yes, it can get very frustrating.

There are several different signs that they may possibly be getting close but the only one that counts is when you see an egg. The others are all "maybe".

Squatting for you or for a rooster is a good sign but I saw a 13 week old pullet squat for a 13 week old cockerel and she did not lay for another 6 weeks. Squatting is not one I rely on.

The comb and wattles turning bright red is a good sign. Many pullets change from pale orange or yellow to bright red as they get ready to lay, it's a sign to the rooster that they need their eggs fertilized. Sometimes they can start laying without the comb and wattles turning, sometimes other things can turn the comb and wattles bright red. I consider this more reliable than squatting but it's not perfect either.

Sometimes a pullet starts looking for a safe nest as much as a week before she starts laying. If you see them all of a sudden scratching in your nests and checking them out you may see an egg within a week. Again it doesn't always work but it is a good sign.

The width between the pelvic bones change as they get ready to lay. How much obviously will depend on the size of the pullet and your fingers but with a "normal" dual purpose pullet two fingers usually means not yet, three fingers means real soon.

If the vent it tight and dry it means not yet. If the vent is larger and softer it generally means real soon.

I've had pullets of similar breeds lay their first egg at 16 weeks, I've had some wait 9 months. It's not purely a breed thing, each is an individual. That's why I say it's when you see an egg. Yes, it can get very frustrating.
This was super helpful! Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom