Any success ways or tips adding new coturnix

konjo

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 13, 2009
Santa Clarita, Ca
I have seen some post and it's saying not to add coturnix to a existing flock "OK CLEAR ON THAT" . But I was wondering if an one has had an luck and if so what need to be done to do this.

Thanks Konjo

He means a flock that is already existing....pretty much spells itself out. Yes you can add birds to a preexisting flock. I usually wait for the birds to be about the same size. I place the new birds inside my breeding pen inside a small cage with food and water. I then give them about 2 days to get use to each other...then in the evening of the 2nd day I open the cage door so the new birds can get out and so when they leave the cage is on their own time.
thumbsup.gif

Same Size
Everybody Goes Into New Nuetral Surrounding At The Same Time--- This Eliminates Territories And Makes Estabolishing The New Pecking Order Somewhat Less Ugly

Pretty Much Just As Sam Describes

Yep, move all the birds to a new cage together so it throws them off. They aren't as territorial if they are in a new 'territory'. But if your pen is big enough, you probably wouldn't have any problems, I can just take new ones out and toss them in the cage with the others and they don't even notice
smile.png
If I had them separated by color (smaller pens) I wouldn't be able to do this.

I have a large grow out mix pen.. all my birds go in during the winter. (except the extra boys)

During other times I just let them grow out in the big pen then if I want to change some to my breeder pen (separated by colors) I take them all out of the breeder pen into the big pen for a few days (except the roo) then grab the ones I want to breed from the big pen back to the breeder pen. I also have a pen just for the boys so the big pen is only girls during breeding season.

Does that make any sense?

Back
Top Bottom