any suggestions about turkey with broken wing ????

nancymiller

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 28, 2009
Western NC
got a turkey from a guy who thought that he had been pecked(the turkey, the turkey )
big_smile.png
so he sprayed the area with some purple disinfectant stuff. When I got him home I looked up under the feathers and noted the wing is obviously broken with about 1/2" bone hanging out of the skin. Wound looks clean and is not infected. I cleaned with Normal Saline, applied bag balm, and then resprayed with the purple stuff. Put vits and ACV in water as well as antibiotic and isolated him from his buds. Has anyone ever seen this severe a wound heal ? Should I cull him ? He is eating , drinking and active. He is a grape monger as well, ha. I need your thoughts on this....and thanks

I would give him a chance. If you can, get the broken bone together and tape it up somehow. Maybe give him some probiotics too. I hate to cull anything so i always give 110%. Good Luck

Can you post a shot of the injury (what bone is broken and where). Yes, if the fracture is set and antibiotics are administered, the turk would probably recover. However, without this there is a good chance that other interventions will merely prolong the inevitable (osteomyelitis).

Back
Top Bottom