Any suggestions on how to treat what looks to be ingrown feathers on feet?

Lobzi

Crowing
14 Years
May 6, 2008
San Francisco Bay Area, EB
DSC00557.JPG

Conrad is free to free-range but he spends most of his time in the coop with a group of hens who also stay in there. He is afraid of the other roosters. He will come up on my deck with me for extra love and care. He is a Sultan so he is naturally timid I have read. He eats scratch and wet corn which he likes the most. I also make a rice dish that I give all the chickens each morning. He comes up on the deck to beg for meal worms. Those are his favorite. I soaked his feet and legs in plain water last night and gave him some ibuprofen and prednisone for the possible pain and swelling. He is walking and a bit more perky this morning (I let him stay with me in the house last night.)

Attachments

• Conrad on deck 5 2021.jpg
    Conrad on deck 5 2021.jpg
    754.7 KB · Views: 31
  • 20210516_080649(0).jpg
    20210516_080649(0).jpg
    360.4 KB · Views: 30
  • 20210516_080634.jpg
    20210516_080634.jpg
    505.8 KB · Views: 32
  • Conrad on my lap.jpg
    Conrad on my lap.jpg
    476.8 KB · Views: 27
He eats scratch and wet corn which he likes the most. I also make a rice dish that I give all the chickens each morning. He comes up on the deck to beg for meal worms. Those are his favorite. I soaked his feet and legs in plain water last night and gave him some ibuprofen and prednisone for the possible pain and swelling.
He has Scaly Leg Mites.
Rub some vaseline, NuStock or Castor Oil into and underneath the scales of the legs and feet. Work on trimming his nails back slowly over time.

I wouldn't give ibuprofen or prednisone. IF you wish to treat the SLM with something in addition to applying oil/cream/ointment once a week, then you can use Ivermectin Pour On. Dose is 0.09ml per pound of weight, drops are applied to the base of the neck and must come into contact with the skin. Repeat treatment in 10 days.

I would feel him a nutritionally balanced poultry feed daily (like an all flock feed). Scratch, corn and rice in moderation as a treat.

Conrad is free to free-range but he spends most of his time in the coop with a group of hens who also stay in there. He is afraid of the other roosters. He will come up on my deck with me for extra love and care. He is a Sultan so he is naturally timid I have read. He eats scratch and wet corn which he likes the most. I also make a rice dish that I give all the chickens each morning. He comes up on the deck to beg for meal worms. Those are his favorite. I soaked his feet and legs in plain water last night and gave him some ibuprofen and prednisone for the possible pain and swelling. He is walking and a bit more perky this morning (I let him stay with me in the house last night.)
He is about four years old.

Scaly leg mites....thanks, Ill do some research. For now I am keeping him with me. Should I continue to soak his feet and legs? Will washing his legs hurt in dealing with this? I was planning to do that before putting him to bed in a carrier in the house with me. I will add putting the ointment on after a leg and foot bath. Im trying to keep his feet area cleaner than they would be if he is hanging out in the coop. Ivermectin, ok I can try that.

Scaly leg mites....thanks, Ill do some research. For now I am keeping him with me. Should I continue to soak his feet and legs? Will washing his legs hurt in dealing with this? I was planning to do that before putting him to bed in a carrier in the house with me. I will add putting the ointment on after a leg and foot bath. Im trying to keep his feet area cleaner than they would be if he is hanging out in the coop. Ivermectin, ok I can try that.
No, it won't hurt to soak his legs and keep them clean. The ointment/oils will help smother the mites, so be sure to work them underneath the scales.

I will soak and reapply the ointment again each night until he recovers. I focused the application on the very swollen and smooth skin. I may need to focus more on the scaly parts of his legs. His outer toes are so swollen that he has a hard time walking so I thought maybe that was where the mite were but Im guess they are hiding up under the scales on what looks like the more normal part of his feet and legs. I looked through pics of scaly leg mites in chickens and I didnt see any as red and swollen as my guy. I gave him a 2ml drench on the back of the neck skin with Ivermectin. That should help too.

Do you know how long it takes for visible results? I really want to help him with the swelling so he can walk easier.

Hard to know when you will see results. The scales may fall off depending on the damage.

Can you tell if he has any sores on the bottom of his feet that may be causing issues as well?
It's possible he may have an ingrown or impacted feather follicle as well, so after soaking his feet take a close look to see if there's any that may need to be pulled out.
Poor guy! I hope he recovers quickly, he's getting good care - a spa treatment every day:)

Back
Top Bottom