Any suggestions???!!!!!Rabbit having babies!! Never did this before?

does she have a nest??
rabbits pull belly fur out and make a nest..
if she does not have this, make one out of ripped up rags or straw or something.
they like to have babies in like a den so if you can put that stuff in a box that looks like this
2787_rabbit_thingy.png

the box has a top on it and the hole is at the one end not all the way to the bottom so mama can get in and out but babies cannot get out
good luck

She didn't! I bought her at an auction this morning! Poor thing
sad.png
I think she is a first time Mama doesn't really know what to do. She had a third baby that never started to breath
sad.png
I tried to help it but I think it was dead before it was born. I just went to check on her and she had a mouth full of fur
smile.png
Now does that mean she's done having them? Are they interested in them after they are done birthing? She didn't seem to even realize they were there, while in labor.
Quote:

she'll know what to do, it's just unfortunate it's all happening so quickly for the both of you. If she's got a mouthful of fur she's doing what she should. There could be more, sometimes it takes a little while for all to arrive.

yikes i guess so!!! she just had7more!!! one right after the other! poor mama! so far 1 have 4 dead with one not doing so great, is this normal?? im holding the one having trouble now seemed like he just couldny adjust so ive been rubbin the little guy if he stops breathing
sad.png
anything else i could do to help him?
Quote:

oh and another dilema!! we had her inside so we could fix up her outdoor hutch...... do we move her in a few days or not or ???????she is in a big rubber maid tub with nice bedding food and water.

Just wanted to know how you and your rabbits are doing? If her hutch is not quite finished she'll be fine indoors with her babies. If you haven't already, a nesting box will help. If you're able to fit the entire rubbermaid tote in her hutch, that might be an option as well depending on how much room it takes up. Good luck!

Sometimes they won't pull fur and build a nest until after they have them especially if they are stressed or having their first litter. Make sure she has a place to make a nest such as an open topped box or container. I'd add a thin layer of shavings and then put the babies and any fur she pulls in it. They will not move the kits so if they don't give birth to them in a warm spot the kits will die from exposure where ever they came out at. It also helps to keep the kits from wandering too early or getting dragged around the cage after being fed. If they aren't in a nest with sides they'll often wiggle off looking for mom before their eyes even open and end up huddled somewhere random outside of the warm fur. If the doe gets confused by the kits and nest moving or just from this being her first litter and hasn't fed them after 24-48hrs (they will look very wrinkly) you can hold her over the nest for the kits to drink and usually they'll get the idea after that. The kits will also start to squeak when they get really hungry and attract their mom to the nest.

Back
Top Bottom