Any suggestions would be great

Tmcfarland

Songster
May 5, 2022
I got a couple ducks from TSC a couple weeks ago. They’re in a coop/brooder in my house as we are in the process of moving & building their outdoor coop/pen at our new house. I use wood shavings for their bedding. I never realized how sloppy they were while drinking. All of the shavings end up soaked. I’m cleaning/changing the shavings every day as to keep it dry. Anyone have suggestions as to how or what I can do/use to keep the shavings dry so I don’t have to do multiple changes a day? I’m new to owning ducks. They’re happy & healthy & I’d like to do the best for them to continue to be happy healthy ducks.

I got a couple ducks from TSC a couple weeks ago. They’re in a coop/brooder in my house as we are in the process of moving & building their outdoor coop/pen at our new house. I use wood shavings for their bedding. I never realized how sloppy they were while drinking. All of the shavings end up soaked. I’m cleaning/changing the shavings every day as to keep it dry. Anyone have suggestions as to how or what I can do/use to keep the shavings dry so I don’t have to do multiple changes a day? I’m new to owning ducks. They’re happy & healthy & I’d like to do the best for them to continue to be happy healthy ducks.
What kind of waterer are you using? They are VERY messy, but a regular chick waterer worked ok for me for a bit. A tall but narrow vessel to wash their faces put on a grate over a tray was helpful in limiting the mess for a while. I used a a wide mouth jar. Nothing they can swim in and you can you can use a heavy rock to weigh it down. Ducks grow fast so the sooner you can get them out of the brooder the better.

Make something like this and put it on a tray or broiler pan I put a puppy pee pad over top of the broiler to protect their feet. If you have more than 2-3 ducklings you might want 2 of these.
A6BB86AF-F8C3-4EAA-BDD0-C3935CC2EF9F.jpeg

What kind of waterer are you using? They are VERY messy, but a regular chick waterer worked ok for me for a bit. A tall but narrow vessel to wash their faces put on a grate over a tray was helpful in limiting the mess for a while. I used a a wide mouth jar. Nothing they can swim in and you can you can use a heavy rock to weigh it down. Ducks grow fast so the sooner you can get them out of the brooder the better.
The waterer we have is like the one we have for our chickens. It’s round with the little spout that fills the round tray. Do you have a name for the kind of waterer you use? Sorry for the stupid questions, I’m just trying to get the best set up for them. They will be outside within a week or so. Just finishing up their pen & making sure it’s as predator proof as possible.

The waterer we have is like the one we have for our chickens. It’s round with the little spout that fills the round tray. Do you have a name for the kind of waterer you use? Sorry for the stupid questions, I’m just trying to get the best set up for them. They will be outside within a week or so. Just finishing up their pen & making sure it’s as predator proof as possible.
What I used was a wide mouth jar with a rock in it for washing their faces, and regular chick waterer but I put it on a grate style cookie sheet over a letter tray. Any water stayed in the tray. I don’t have a pic I’m sorry!

I used dog potty pads in my brooder which was so easy to clean. I changed it out 2-3 times a day but it was so much easier than shavings. I used a bec waterer in my brooder connected to a gallon milk jug which sat on a wire mesh cookie cooling rack over a plant saucer to catch any splashed water. The ducks couldn't get to the saucer of water so it stayed much drier. I also used a no waste feeder so the ducks couldn't make as much of a mess with food. The little babies can wear you out keeping them clean so it's a good thing they're so adorable. Haha

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220906-002421_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20220906-002421_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom