Any thing I should know about my 6 chickens

coledabomb

Songster
Jun 30, 2021
Hi I just wanted to come on here to ask if anyone has any info I should know or will need to know about my chickens I got from Pratt’s Pratts! I will include there age and breed below.

buff Orpington bantam hen | 4 months 3 weeks
Cornish cross hen | 4 months 3 weeks
Easter egger bantam hen | 5 months
Easter egger bantam hen | 5 months 1 week
Cochin bantam rooster | 6 months
Cochin bantam rooster | 6 1/2 months

What would you like to know? For that many hens, youshouldn't have two roosters, or even one rooster. The cornish cross are meat birds, so they won't live long unless you have them on restricted feed.
You need at least 5 more hens for one rooster. Feed all flock/flock raiser with oyster shell on the side.

Hi I just wanted to come on here to ask if anyone has any info I should know or will need to know about my chickens I got from Pratt’s Pratts! I will include there age and breed below.

buff Orpington bantam hen | 4 months 3 weeks
Cornish cross hen | 4 months 3 weeks
Easter egger bantam hen | 5 months
Easter egger bantam hen | 5 months 1 week
Cochin bantam rooster | 6 months
Cochin bantam rooster | 6 1/2 months
You have too many roosters. Most likely there will be an overmating issue.

Other things to keep in mind are quite general. Such as:

1. Always integrate new birds slowly (Im sure you will get more birds in the future)
2. Look out for poop stuck on their butt feathers (especially during hot days)
3. Provide a dust bath area if you havent yet.
4. Prepare a chciken emergency kit for...emergenices of course

You have too many roosters. Most likely there will be an overmating issue.

Other things to keep in mind are quite general. Such as:

1. Always integrate new birds slowly (Im sure you will get more birds in the future)
2. Look out for poop stuck on their butt feathers (especially during hot days)
3. Provide a dust bath area if you havent yet.
4. Prepare a chciken emergency kit for...emergenices of course
What would you like to know? For that many hens, youshouldn't have two roosters, or even one rooster. The cornish cross are meat birds, so they won't live long unless you have them on restricted feed.
You need at least 5 more hens for one rooster. Feed all flock/flock raiser with oyster shell on the side.
Hen saddles

Hen saddles
Aren't the solution here.
They prevent physical wear on their backs but won't protect anywhere else. but they won't keep the hens from being forced into mating dozens of time a day, you have 3 hens to two roosters, I'm not counting the cornish, it's hard on hens and the rooster will probably end up fighting and it isn't pretty. You need about 8 hens per room, depending.

If you want to keep all of the as pets you have to know that Cornish Crosses need more carefulness about the feed and exercise to control their weight and make them live the longest and happiest life possible. They are inclined to eat, eat and eat as long feed is avaiable. That's because they're used to produce meat and they have to grow quickly.
On this site you'll find many informations about keeping cornish crosses without overfeeding them, so they can have healthier lives (at 4 months she maybe already is too big though).
Also, if you don't have other hens, two cockerels are too many if they live in the same coop and run. They maybe will fight and probably will overmate the hens, stressing them.

Aren't the solution here.
They prevent physical wear on their backs but won't protect anywhere else. but they won't keep the hens from being forced into mating dozens of time a day, you have 3 hens to two roosters, I'm not counting the cornish, it's hard on hens and the rooster will probably end up fighting and it isn't pretty. You need about 8 hens per room, depending.
How about their head? For fertility, you definitely dont need two roosters. One is plenty. My rooster serves 20+ hens.
The roosters don’t ever fight and mating was a problem until the saddles came in and the roosters barley even mate the hens now! I think it may have to do with the fact that the hens aren’t having the nails dig into there backs so they can easily prevent. And as for the Cornish cross she has been on a limited diet and isn’t anything like a Cornish cross (besides her growth rate) she flys up to where the others are roosting and she walks around with them all day she’s a pretty active hen and the guys seem to like her too because there always trying to mate with her but she tans around with them on her back till they hop off 😂

The roosters don’t ever fight and mating was a problem until the saddles came in and the roosters barley even mate the hens now! I think it may have to do with the fact that the hens aren’t having the nails dig into there backs so they can easily prevent. And as for the Cornish cross she has been on a limited diet and isn’t anything like a Cornish cross (besides her growth rate) she flys up to where the others are roosting and she walks around with them all day she’s a pretty active hen and the guys seem to like her too because there always trying to mate with her but she tans around with them on her back till they hop off 😂
Slip n slide hens.

Back
Top Bottom