Any thoughts on bizarre Hen behavior

Bella333

Chirping
10 Years
May 29, 2012
Hampstead, Maryland
I have a one year old buff orpington. Two weeks ago I found her on her side in the coop. I thought she was dead as she was barely moving. I brought her into the garage. She would not stand or move anything but her head. Her movements looked like something neurological. Couldn't stand, head bobbing, leaning sideways etc.
I basically provided supportive care expecting her to be dead by morning. However, by morning she was eating and drinking and walking around. I kept her in the garage another 24hrs and by the next day she was squaking for freedom. I put her out in the yard and she was fine for the next 4 days. Then the same behaviors reappeared couldn't walk, laying on side etc. 3 days in garage....back to normal. On the 4th day I put her outside for 3 days was a normal chicken even laid an egg. Yesterday, I found her down again. Laid in the same spot all day and couldnt stand or walk. She's back in the garage and as of this morning is already improved walking around the cage eating and drinking! I am so confused as to what could be going on???? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I have a one year old buff orpington. Two weeks ago I found her on her side in the coop. I thought she was dead as she was barely moving. I brought her into the garage. She would not stand or move anything but her head. Her movements looked like something neurological. Couldn't stand, head bobbing, leaning sideways etc.
I basically provided supportive care expecting her to be dead by morning. However, by morning she was eating and drinking and walking around. I kept her in the garage another 24hrs and by the next day she was squaking for freedom. I put her out in the yard and she was fine for the next 4 days. Then the same behaviors reappeared couldn't walk, laying on side etc. 3 days in garage....back to normal. On the 4th day I put her outside for 3 days was a normal chicken even laid an egg. Yesterday, I found her down again. Laid in the same spot all day and couldnt stand or walk. She's back in the garage and as of this morning is already improved walking around the cage eating and drinking! I am so confused as to what could be going on???? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Sounds environmental from your description. Is it possible there are fumes in the coop for example from paint? Or did someone (maybe a long time ago) put something poisonous down against bugs or rodents?
You could experiment by creating a temporary shelter outside but in a different spot for example.

Sounds environmental from your description. Is it possible there are fumes in the coop for example from paint? Or did someone (maybe a long time ago) put something poisonous down against bugs or rodents?
You could experiment by creating a temporary shelter outside but in a different spot for example.

I have never used any sprays or paints....I have 8 other chickens in the same area and none of them have displayed any symptoms....this is just so crazy. Yesterday she looked like she was dying....eyes kept closing and wouldnt move. This morning she is walking around, squawking to get out and eating egg out of my hand...UGH!

Each time you've brought her in, has she laid an egg, then shows improvement?

What's her eggs like, normal hard shell?

What do you feed including treats?

Have you watch flock behaviors, is she eating/drinking ok outside, no one is keeping her run from food.

Just questions and trying to figure it out...

When I Bring her in she does not lay any eggs. When I put her back out after a couple days she went back to laying normal eggs. I feed layer feed Dumor non medicated. Oyster shells. Their treats include a daily handful of meal worms (i have 8) cantaloupe, scrambled or hard boiled eggs, greens, watermelon, blueberries and a little scratch here and there. I don't feed all of that everyday. I give them something different everyday....one day a wedge of melon, the next some eggs, etc. They also free range. Yes, I put blue kote:) on her foot so that I could easily observe her since I have 3 that are the same... when she was out she eats feed, treats and water as well as pecking the ground while out. I checked her crop when i put her in for the night and it was full....I just dont understand this. When she goes down she looks like she's going to die any second. Eyes keep closing, head tilts back...then after 24hrs she stands up, starts eating, and squawks for freedom. Then the history since February has been she's good for several days to a week then we start all over again???

When I Bring her in she does not lay any eggs. When I put her back out after a couple days she went back to laying normal eggs. I feed layer feed Dumor non medicated. Oyster shells. Their treats include a daily handful of meal worms (i have 8) cantaloupe, scrambled or hard boiled eggs, greens, watermelon, blueberries and a little scratch here and there. I don't feed all of that everyday. I give them something different everyday....one day a wedge of melon, the next some eggs, etc. They also free range. Yes, I put blue kote:) on her foot so that I could easily observe her since I have 3 that are the same... when she was out she eats feed, treats and water as well as pecking the ground while out. I checked her crop when i put her in for the night and it was full....I just dont understand this. When she goes down she looks like she's going to die any second. Eyes keep closing, head tilts back...then after 24hrs she stands up, starts eating, and squawks for freedom. Then the history since February has been she's good for several days to a week then we start all over again???
I'm not sure what's going on with her.
When she does it next time, can you get video of her actions or photos? For us to see your video, upload it to youtube and provide a link.

It's almost like she may be having some neurological issues or maybe she's working on an egg and it's pressing on a nerve, but she works it out.
Interesting and puzzling.

I would try vitamin therapy to see if that makes any difference at all, it shouldn't hurt anything and maybe it will stop her "episodes".
400 IU Vitamin E and 1/4 tablet B-Complex daily for at least a week. Give her a bit of egg daily to help with the uptake of E. This vitamin combo (E, B-Complex, Egg) is what is normally given to birds that have neurological symptoms. Worth a try.

I'm not sure what's going on with her.
When she does it next time, can you get video of her actions or photos? For us to see your video, upload it to youtube and provide a link.

It's almost like she may be having some neurological issues or maybe she's working on an egg and it's pressing on a nerve, but she works it out.
Interesting and puzzling.

I would try vitamin therapy to see if that makes any difference at all, it shouldn't hurt anything and maybe it will stop her "episodes".
400 IU Vitamin E and 1/4 tablet B-Complex daily for at least a week. Give her a bit of egg daily to help with the uptake of E. This vitamin combo (E, B-Complex, Egg) is what is normally given to birds that have neurological symptoms. Worth a try.
Thank you, I will try the Vit E and B Complex. She's back to herself again, but I'm going to leave her in for a couple more days and see. You are correct all of her symptoms appear neurological. Just weird how they come and go.....

Thank you, I will try the Vit E and B Complex. She's back to herself again, but I'm going to leave her in for a couple more days and see. You are correct all of her symptoms appear neurological. Just weird how they come and go.....
Please keep me updated on how she's doing.
It will be interesting to see if the vitamins make any difference. I'm not quite sure what to make of the come and go symptoms like that unless it is related to her reproductive cycle.

Back
Top Bottom