any thoughts on breeds and is she a boy

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by prettybirds, Oct 5, 2010.

1. prettybirds

prettybirds New Egg

Oct 5, 2010
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hey all first time posting. any thoughts on the breeds i know the little gal is a speckled sussex but all i know of the other 4 is there fancy's and they were suppose to be hens but the brown 0ne (recies pieces) is starting to look like a boy. If thats the case do you think the little bantam will be ok with him doing his busness. She is the only survivor of a racoon attack that killed 3 of her sisters. before i was able to shoot him She sufferd a bite right behind her neck but she recovered well i would not want her to be hurt by him. He hasnt crowed or anything and they are all about 14 weeks old. The Grey one ( Snow girl) is kinda a bully to the rest including recies which is kinda my only hope that he is a hen would a rooster get bullyied by a smaller hen? thanks for the help

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

The blue and the black look to be cochin pullets. The barred one is a Barred Rock. What type of comb does the brown one have? If it's a single it's probably a cochin if it's a pea comb it could be a brahma.......it's a rooster. The smaller one does not look to be a Speckled Sussex...no mille fleur color pattern and it has yellow legs.....sussex have white legs.

3. wildeflowers

wildeflowers I suspect fowl play!

Jun 29, 2010
    Love those chochins. They are pretty!![​IMG]

I'd like to see a pic of his tail, but I think that brown one is a roo, too.

4. juliechick

juliechick Transplanted Hillbilly

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    Buff Brahma rooster.

5. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    The buff (brown) is a buff Brahma and looks to be a roo (a pic of the bird's side and tail would help). The black, blue, and barred are Cochin pullets. The barred has featherd legs so isn't a barred Rock. I don't see any birds in the pics that look like Speckled Sussex. I see one that could be a Rhode Island Red but would need to see a better pic of that one as well.

6. prettybirds

prettybirds New Egg

Oct 5, 2010
    [​IMG]

The pics are from a phone they didnt come out very well sorry but there 1 of his tail will the little bantam be ok with her? trying to find a better pic of the little 1

7. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I have a bantam Buff Brahma and I love him! He's a gentleman roo, he's brave, and he's friendly. Plus, it's a hoot to watch him run! Looks just like a miniature, feathered Tyrannasauras Rex!

8. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Does the barred one have feathered legs? I can't see that in the pictures.

9. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    Yep, I'd have to say the Brahma is a roo.

10. prettybirds

prettybirds New Egg

Oct 5, 2010
    [​IMG]

here is a better pic my wife was told when she got them she was speckled susex? i didn't really know she was a bantam till we got the other chicks and saw the size differance, she is the same age but she was hurt and was not eating for a while

Last edited: Oct 5, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by