Any tips for cleaning a grass run?

I put leaves in mine. The chicken wire top is loosely stapled to the top (its 3ft high) so I take those staples out about once a month and rake it all to the end of the run, then remove that piece of end wire and shovel it all into the compost. The run is 3ft wide an 10ft long so not too much work. It is kind of a pain but I don't know how else to clean it out! But I like using leaves in there, it's free and it encourages more frequent raking.
big_smile.png

well for me I have way to many chickens in my run as of now but I did have grass in there at one time , my friend has 8 chickens in a 12 X 24 grass run maybe bigger he to ask what can be done , I told him with I know it is going to rain that night and the next day I lock up the chickens from the run and use garden lime , I do this now for my dirt runs and it helps break down the poo and helps with any smells plus it goo for the grass also ..after it is all wash into the ground the day after I then let my chickens out been doing this for 4 years now and no problems

Alan

same issue going on for me as well. New coop and flock smaller run and the grass is well pretty much gone with poop everywhere in it .I was thinking of tossing the older pine shavings in there..? or just letting go to the dustbowl.

The only thing with use pine shaving or hay or leaves -grass cutting is after it gets wet it stinks more then the chicken poo, if you do place anything in the run sand is the best

Last edited:
well for me I don't have a cover run , my runs only have netting the run get 1/2 shade and 1/2 full sun , there in the back half of a wooded area with lots of trees , as far as cleaning I don't I let mother nature that it total with a little help from the lime to keep the smell down and to break down there waste faster .

I thing most of us don't have cover runs or if so it only a small part in there runs

All this cleaning chicken poop talk is nuts. well not for some of use we take pride in our chickens and what the best health for them too ,
do you like living in a pile of crap in ur house , well my chickens don't in the house or runs either

We use the deep litter method in the house... cake out the kids rooms in the spring... on even numbered years... works great for me!

Had no idea you were so thin-skinned and sensitive - didn't mean to offend you and put you over the edge... my bad... didn't notice you are just dakid.

where not talking the coop / house for the chicken ------yes I use a deep litter in there but where talking about there run which is outside -so yes there is a different

you didn't put over the edge and for 2 well I'm not a kid , unless I'm a 50 yr old kid which I am at heart , but you need to read he whole post before replly to something you have no Idea ,,,,,,,,,
cool.png

We thought we gave our chickens an enormous run, but in about a month and a half it was all mud.

We have found that in our rainy climate, sand works best in summer, straw in winter. If not they are acquatic animals unfortunately with all our rain.

Back
Top Bottom