Any Tips For First Timers???

New to byc today and I can't quite figure out how to start my own thread yet but I can reply so I will post my questions here. I was brand new to chicken keeping this summer and we free ranged our birds. I live in Canada so we built a insulated coop for our girls. We have a heated waterer and a red heat lamp. We use straw bedding, and have 5 nesting boxes, one for each chicken and one for our guinea hen. And a roost over top. We also keep a rooster who is very calm. One issue I have discovered is due to our cold weather the poop is freezing before we can get it clean and my girls are now pooping in there nest boxes so I have big frozen clumps of poop everywhere. I want to keep my crew happy and healthy. Any suggestions for my coop design? Will they be okay until spring thaw?

New to byc today and I can't quite figure out how to start my own thread yet but I can reply so I will post my questions here. I was brand new to chicken keeping this summer and we free ranged our birds. I live in Canada so we built a insulated coop for our girls. We have a heated waterer and a red heat lamp. We use straw bedding, and have 5 nesting boxes, one for each chicken and one for our guinea hen. And a roost over top. We also keep a rooster who is very calm. One issue I have discovered is due to our cold weather the poop is freezing before we can get it clean and my girls are now pooping in there nest boxes so I have big frozen clumps of poop everywhere. I want to keep my crew happy and healthy. Any suggestions for my coop design? Will they be okay until spring thaw?
Welcome to BYC!
At the top and bottom of every page is a button that says "Start a New Thread"
Unless you're on a phone or tablet, then I'm not sure.

Last edited:
I mentioned access in my earlier post. I'd like to go further and say, don't do any "chook only" sized doors. Do a 'chook-sized' in a human-sized door, but make everything easily human accessible - ie without having to lean in, climb in, or walk right the way around to another spot to access something that you could access if only there was a door there......

Back
Top Bottom