Any tips on builing a coop from pallets?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Sc00ter4900, Feb 28, 2012.

1. Sc00ter4900

Sc00ter4900 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2009
    Massachusetts
    [​IMG]I took 2 pallets a time to lag bolt them together
    [​IMG]The walls are coming out good so far

[​IMG]Had some help :)
    Im thinking of a slanted roof But this is what We have done so far [​IMG]

2. MARANMAN2011

MARANMAN2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2011
    I wish I found palletts that big and that nice here looks good.

3. Sc00ter4900

Sc00ter4900 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2009
    Massachusetts
    The pallets are 6' x 4'5" I'm planing on adding some half pallets to the side wall to make the slant roof 2' higher. I picked up a window from trash day that still works good but the guy was replacing all of his windows and told me that was the best on. Most of the material's were free. I'm trying to be as Green as possible. I don't have the front wall up yet so its still shaky , Not very stable yet. I'M not sure if the roof will make it stable ?

4. OkChickens

OkChickens Orpingtons Are Us

Dec 1, 2010
    Owasso, Oklahoma
    I would build all of my coops like that if I could find Pallets that Large! Your coop looks great!

Nate

5. jamband

jamband Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    adding a few boards that overlap the connections of the pallets would strengthen it a good amt. I would also ad 2x4s as top plates would help tie in the roof too. looks sweet

6. TN_BIRD

TN_BIRD Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    To take some of the wobble out of your structure, you might want to build your roosts in the corners or get some turnbuckles.

A scrap piece of wood can also work (you simply wrap your wire around the board and twist the board to snug up the wire (sorta like those toy airplanes with the rubber band propellers...snug it up and then just nail it to the wall)

[​IMG]

7. 3forfree

3forfree Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2010
    essexville, michigan
    I would tie the front in with 2x4's and make a door to access the coop from the outside. If you can get more of those palllets break them up (carefully, as the pieces can be used for trim and other things) and use those 2x4's for your framing. Pallets are so much fun to use, and it gives you something to do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by