any tips on catching a skittish duck?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by TheDuckCrew, Jan 24, 2010.

1. TheDuckCrew

TheDuckCrew Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    Connecticut
    She really doesnt like me anyways, and she's only came near me when i had food a few feet in front of me and her mate stood between the two of us (he's used to me and always talks to me in the morning when i say toby let me hear ya! and i get quackquackquack lmao) but anyways we need to catch her to clip her wings. she's in a pen and house with her mate, i just dont want to hurt her or anyting. any tips?

2. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    I would probably use a heavy blanket.. Most birds calm down quickly when they cant see..Thats what ive used to catch Canadian Geese when they have fishing line on them..

Last edited: Jan 24, 2010
  3. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    You could get her into a corner and throw a towl around her and then make sure her head stays covered. Or if you dont want to scare her with tthe towel you can get her cornered in her pen then catch her. Most of my ducks are skittish and I guess it just takes patience and speed to catch them sometimes.

4. Willowbrook

Willowbrook Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2008
    western PA
    I use a large, fine-mesh fishing net that I bought at WalMart. Once I catch them, I cover them as has been mentioned.
    This works great if you can't get close enough to towel or blanket them.
    My net was originally for my peafowl, but it has served me well with almost all of my other poultry.

5. crazybarnlady

crazybarnlady Out Of The Brooder

Jan 5, 2010
    langley, BC, Canada
    I didn't like the mesh on my fishing net so I replaced it with a pillow case- now I can herd them into a corner and scoop them up in the long handle, wide mouth "net" and not worry about hurting their feathers. Not being able to see out of the pillow case calms them a little, too.

6. houndit

houndit There is no H or F in Orpington!

Jul 13, 2008
    Braymer Missouri
    Long fishing net is the best! Just scoop them up. It scares them but they can calm down quickly.

7. ljf24

ljf24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    TN
    get her in the dark and shine a flashlight in her eyes. she shouldn't be able to see you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by