Any tips on how to make a hen broody?

thebitty

Chirping
6 Years
Jun 25, 2013
Cedar Bluff, MS
I can't seem to find anything. I have a Buff orpington and a dominecker hen and I laid 6 eggs in their box and neither sat. There's actually 5 other hens and a rooster in the coop with them so I moved the buff orpington to her own pen and she never sat after 2 days. Any possible suggestion, theories, facts, or hopefully surefire ways to make her broody

never move them before they go broody. they could care less about going broody they just want their friends when separated before broodiness. some hens go broody others dont. just replace eggs with golf balls every time you gather eggs. they may go broody maybe not.

good luck! iv'e been dying for a broody hen myself! just bought some young buffs a week ago!
celebrate.gif

Neither you nor I nor anyone else can <I>make</I> a hen go broody. She either will or she won't, and it's all due to hormones and genetics.

Some folks <I>never</I> have any hens in their flocks go broody. Ever. Even a hen from a breed generally known for the tendency to brood.

And then you could be surprised, like me, when a 3 year old hatchery RIR went broody for the first time.

So, don't expect it, just celebrate it when it happens! :D

Last edited:
Interesting. I bought a broody hen with 6 day old chicks. 3 pullets are still with her and I keep hoping she'll go broody again. Her girls are almost as big as her now. Hopefully they'll begin to lay as well.

No. It's actually dangerous for the chick(s) to be put with a hen which is NOT broody. I seriously doubt she would "protect" any chicks you got her if she is not broody. Even some broody hens won't accept chicks to raise if she isn't at the point of broodiness to start caring for them.

Some broody hens are happy as heck to get chicks after they've been broody awhile.

You could try getting a broody hen and it may influence the others to to broody. Last month, a hen went broody. A week later, another hen went broody, and a week later, another hen went broody. 3/7 sitting on eggs :)

once i put 6 week old chicks in with my others they ll wanted to raise their own. i even had a hen try to brood them.

Back
Top Bottom