Any tips on introducing two dogs? WHAT HAPPENED

gritsar

Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!
14 Years
Nov 9, 2007
SW Arkansas
My DSD is going to bring her full grown, large spayed female to meet Jax tomorrow. Her name is Domino and she's fairly dominant.
Though we've socialized Jax (GSD, 7 mo. old) heavily, he's never actually met another dog. We live on an isolated farm and he just hasn't seen many dogs and never up close.
Yesterday on our walk he came close to meeting a great pyrenees, a bassett hound and two dachshunds - our closest neighbor's dogs that run loose.
roll.png
They wouldn't cross our cattle guard to get too close and Jax doesn't cross the cattle guard on our side. I had him leashed.
Jax bowed up, with all the hair on his back standing up. He sounded ferocious! but paid attention to me as we walked away.

Any tips on introducing Jax to this female? We will have both leashed, of course and will start with the female outside the fence. I'm concerned because Jax is very protective of our yard. He needs to start getting used to other dogs!

Last edited:
Try to introduce them in a neutral place, your yard is not a great place to introduce them because Jax will think of it as his territory, and will get defensive.

Quote:
Yeah, we've decided to introduce them outside the fenced yard. Jax is not territorial about the whole farm yet, just HIS yard.
I'll pick up a couple of soft muzzles tonight.

If you muzzle the both of them, they'll likely both feel too vulnerable and not interact. Anxiety and fear aren't good feelings, so if you associate the other dog's presence with a feeling of fear and vulnerability, you're taking a step in the wrong direction.

You're looking for positive reinforcement -- not negative.. If it were me, I'd bring them just to within sight of one another and give treats, then remove them from one another's view. Wait a bit, and repeat. Do this over and over again..

HOPEFULLY at some point they'll each see that other dog and immediately look at their respective masters like "Hey there's that dog -- where's my treat!" From there, the other dog's presence should be associated with something positive happening instead of uncertainty, anxiety, or aggression.

Last edited:
put them in a neutral area loose leash or they will feel tense and could fight if he starts to act tense make a shh noise it will snap him out of it turn and walk away then walk back toward them after a couple times he will get the picture bring a couple of treats too.

Neutral area is definitely best as mentioned. I would wait to muzzle them until after initial introductions. Like someone else said, the muzzle can make them feel vulnerable, and more fear-aggressive. Jax is likely to be more scared than anything, so I would recommend very loose leashes, and the person holding the leashes must remain calm, or the dogs will pick up on the nervousness and get defensive. Most likely the female will immediately try to put Jax in his place, and hopefully, as he is young, he will surrender to her. If not, there may be problems, and that is when I would put the muzzles on to allow you to correct them with touch without any risk of you or the dogs getting bitten. Good luck! I'm glad you found someone that is willing to bring over their dog to meet Jax!

ETA- One of the best ways to introduce dogs is for both owners to pay no attention to the other dog, and take both dogs on a walk together. Just begin walking together, and keep both dogs moving, and by the time you are done they will not only be a little bit worn out, they will also feel as if they are both in the same "pack"

Last edited:
Yep, neutral territory. If the weather is good you might want to meet up in a park or something. As mentioned, walk them together. Just as GAChknGirl wrote.

They are going to want to smell each others behinds. As long as neither one is growling let them do it. They get a lot of information from doing that.

Sometimes dogs will be quite aggressive on leashes too...they want to defend their owners...especially if, when they growl, the owners raise their voices. Then the dog thinks "yes, my person is worried too, I'm doing the right thing!" and things can get unpleasant.

In any two dog relationship, one dog will always be dominant and one will be submissive. It may be subtle as with my two dogs, or it may be obvious as with my folks' two dogs, but they will need to work it out on their own, which may involve growling, barking, even pinning each other down.

I've had good success with foster dogs by introducing them in neutral territory, off leash, with a hose handy to spray with a blast of water if I need to quickly seperate them, then re-leash.

At what age was Jax removed from his littermates? Dogs really learn the best dog manners between 2-4 months, after that it can be much more difficult for them to understand "dog language" especially from a dominant dog.

Back
Top Bottom