Any tips on introducing two dogs? WHAT HAPPENED

Neutral area ...

Walk the older one on a lead, well ahead of the younger ... like 50 yards ahead. Walk the younger on a lead following. Gradually decrease the distance.

Turn around, go back the other way, so the older is following the younger back. This way they both get used to the other's scent.

If you have an open field, move on to walking in a circle, both going the same way around, so you're half the circle apart. Start with a big circle, 30 yards or so across. Gradually reduce the circle.

You might not need to do all the above, but it's worked for me when introducing a dominant dog, or starting to work on a dog that has mild agression issues with another at a young age. I had to use this with my female shepherd a lot when she was young; not over agression issues, but because she would become too excitable when she saw a strange dog, so we had to work on getting her desensitized to that.

GSDs don't generally have problems with male-female agression, though, in my experience, but if the female's been pushy with others, play it safe at first.

Quote:
Jax was removed from his littermates at 8 weeks old. His first owner took him home and stuck him in an outdoor kennel with another pup, a lab same age. Very little human interaction there. He came to live with us at 13 weeks old.
My DH has the whole "alpha dog" thing going with Jax. Jax is very submissive to him. I've had a harder time with it, my voice is very soft and I can't get my bluff on him easily; but I'm learning.
It'll be interesting today, that's for sure.

Good luck!! Hopefully the dogs will be good pack buddies soon!

I also am a big fan of Ceasar Millan, he gives great explainations of how to get in a dog's head to know the "why" of something, so you can use your behavior in small ways to get the desired behavior from your dog.

Let us know how it goes....
caf.gif

your anxiety will run right down the leash to Jax...he is still very much a puppy and the grump will rule...let them be dogs and sniff and snort...unless she is overly aggressive, they will work it out and Jax will be totally in love in about five minutes...very loose lead or a long line and just be very matter of fact...expect them to behave rather than the reverse...I just brought a 6 year old rescue into my home with three other adult Dobermans...it is no big deal...we had lip from her once as she has never been with other dogs...when she realized they were not going to hurt her, she relaxed and was fine with it all...the male is in love with her and the girls want to play...doing the play bowing and all of that...try not to over think it and let them be dogs...Jax is still a puppy and will take direction from an older dog, especially a female...she may have to thump him on the head a couple of times if he gets fresh but he will learn to be respectful...and they will probably love companionship of their own kind even if it is just for a little while like play dates or something...
I had a family reunion type thing here over the summer with 14 people and 7 dogs, most of the dogs had never met each other...within a few minutes of introductions, all the dogs were civil and playing and chasing...the youngest was 1 year old and the eldest was 12...

DSD couldn't bring Domino, so she brought one of her other dogs instead. A spayed female, 2 years old, about a 1/3rd smaller than Jax.
Neutral territory. DH held Jax's leash, DSD held Juno's.
Initially Jax was acting all big and bad, Mr. Big Stuff. Right up until the female took his butt down. She didn't bite him or hurt him in any way, but she got her point across.
gig.gif

They're playing now, but she's not letting Jax forget that size isn't everything.
gig.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
woot.gif
Go Juno! I'm glad everthing went well.

Now DH is teasing Jax about having a girlfriend. I've spoken to Jax about hurrying love and all that. I cautioned him about Juno's checkered past. I want him to hold out for a good girl, from a nice german family.
gig.gif

Quote:
woot.gif
Go Juno! I'm glad everthing went well.

Now DH is teasing Jax about having a girlfriend. I've spoken to Jax about hurrying love and all that. I cautioned him about Juno's checkered past. I want him to hold out for a good girl, from a nice german family.
gig.gif

yuckyuck.gif

Back
Top Bottom