Any tips on teaching your dog not to go after your ducklings?

How old is your dog?

Breed?

Has he had any previous training?

She's a Basenji (hunting breed) and is 5 years old. She has already killed squirrels, bunnies, chipmunks in the back yard. I was hoping that having the ducklings in the house would help. No such luck.

RitaK,

Those ducklings' lives depend on you. You need to protect them. Every member of the household must commit to keeping them safe from your dog and any other danger.

I am not a dog trainer, but if she has a strong hunting instinct, the best you may be able to do is keep her as far away from the ducks as possible from here on out.

Build the ducks a Little Fort Knox. Know where the Basenji is at all times. If that seems distasteful, then perhaps the ducklings need a new home.

When I was younger, a little cousin came over and repeatedly opened the door to my room, where the ducklings were in an open-topped brooder, and the poodle killed them. That experience left an impression on me. This little cousin was not supervised. By the time I realized what had happened it was too late. Poodles are a hunting breed. I did get more ducklings, but had learned that the poodle - an otherwise sweet, mellow guy - could not control those instincts, and I protected the ducklings and also had learned that all visitors would be assumed to make similar mistakes so I changed the brooder arrangement and access to my room so that it was less likely someone would open the door, and even if the dog got into my room, the ducklings were safe.

We have a 100lb Doberman he's WELL trained and knows voice commands he and I respect one another but, no matter how well trained I do not want to chance that one split second. I have a responsibility to my ducks their forage time should be just that and not worrying about their life. My simple solution he's penned when their out and vice versa.

I have Australian shepherds. Many of them over the year's have been aggressive to small critters.

What I have done many times is hold young chickens in my hands to introduce them to the dogs. Scold for any aggressive behavior reward for good behavior around the chickens. Take the dogs with you to do your choirs with them and just to interact a few times.
Once my dogs figured out the chickens belonged there it wasn't long they became very protective of them. When introducing a new puppy its even easier just take the puppy to the chicken pin let him sniff around hold a chicken for him to see and the older dogs will do the rest.

I 2nd Ron's advice. Do the leash til you can trust the dog. I think training to be around ducks is the same as any dog training: consistency and rewards will go a long way. I have 2-- 85#+ dogs and no problems at all. There were problems in the beginning with the younger dog tho, the ducks splashing in their pool just drove my Retriever wild... But she got over it. My older mixed dog is The Best Duck-Sitter! :)

Back
Top Bottom