Any Tips To Get Blood Out Of Feathers?

StardustChicken

Songster
Mar 9, 2020
Louisiana
While at work 2 of my roosters got into a bloody brawl. No major injuries, all the damage was done to their combs and wattles, that's where all the blood came from. The injuries have been taken care of and one has been separated into a chicken tractor.

They are both mostly white and their hackles are stained with blood. Any tips on how to remove it without damaging their skin or feathers?

They'll probably preen a lot of it away. Dust bathing and sun exposure should eliminate the majority of the rest.

If you're not showing them you probably can let time fade the stains and molting remove anything that sun and normal chicken hygiene don't.

Honestly, I'd just let it naturally wear off. You'll likely just stress them out and probably yourself too trying to clean them up.
They'll probably preen a lot of it away. Dust bathing and sun exposure should eliminate the majority of the rest.

If you're not showing them you probably can let time fade the stains and molting remove anything that sun and normal chicken hygiene don't.

Yeah, I'd rather just leave them as to not stress them out further. But would the scent of blood be a concern? Wouldn't it be more likely to attract predators?

Yeah, I'd rather just leave them as to not stress them out further. But would the scent of blood be a concern? Wouldn't it be more likely to attract predators?

I shouldn't think so.

Chickens smell delicious to predators already and the dried blood should have minimal odor -- especially after it's been there for a while.

Can you keep them locked up safely where predators can't get them at least until the wounds heal?

I shouldn't think so.

Chickens smell delicious to predators already and the dried blood should have minimal odor -- especially after it's been there for a while.

Can you keep them locked up safely where predators can't get them at least until the wounds heal?
They do get locked up at night, my only concern was about those pesky raccoons. But it seems I won't have to worry about a heightened chance of attracting them. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom