1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Any tips???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by koakritters, Mar 26, 2011.

1. koakritters

koakritters Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2011
    Petaluma
    On how to get my 13-day old chick OFF MY HEAD?!?!?!?!?! She has a new favorite perch, her and her brother are currently sleeping perched on my shoulder, but she keeps waking up and jumping on top of my head to sleep... it was cute at first but now she digs in with those little claws and pulls my hair when i try to get her off!

... i wonder what my teacher would say is she knew i did my entire midterm project with chickens on my shoulder... [​IMG]

and yes they are there while typing this, if i make them get off and go in their brooder they sit there and scream at me until i come get them again!!!

2. ralleia

ralleia Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    Omaha, NE
    You are now the preferred roost. It's sweet. Go with it.

When I was in high school my pet cockatiel would perch on my shoulder, occasionally running down my arm to chew holes in my homework or remove the eraser from my mechanical pencil. At least nowadays you're probably on a computer so the chew marks won't show. [​IMG]

You can handle the pain. [​IMG]

3. Batty about Banties

Batty about Banties Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2011
    Gorge
    This is way cute! While I was doing my midterm I had chickies on my lap the entire time![​IMG]

4. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    I'd recommend trimming her nails so they are sharp....and letting her stay. [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. koakritters

koakritters Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2011
    Petaluma
    i'm thinking this could be a problem, if i'm anywhere near them, or they think i am, then they start crying to be let out, and they won't be quiet!!! they live at the end of my bed too, lol... i am glad they've decided i won't hurt them, but still... i've decided i will not be geting attached to the 15 in the incubator, at all! i don't have room for 17 chicks on my head!

6. kiplingchick

kiplingchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2011
    Central NC
    no tips, just thanks for making me smile!
    [​IMG]

7. spotstealer

spotstealer Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Poynette, WI
    Is the coop big enough for you too? Mine come running over for me to scratch their little chests. The fight for my attention. They don't perch on me other than my arm.

8. greytmommy

greytmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2011
    I hope my chickies love ME that much in 13 days! We have had them for 24hrs now, and they are already a lot calmer. We are handling them a lot (I have 2 kids that want to pet and hold them ALL the time). About how long did it take for them to get that attached to you?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by