Any tricks on keeping chickens out of my pond?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Scumma, Nov 13, 2012.

1. Scumma

Scumma Out Of The Brooder

Nov 13, 2012
    Ventura, CA
    My girlfriend and I are in the process of building a pond in our backyard, we have 3 full grown chickens, we are trying to think of a way to "train" them to keep out so they don't drown. Any ideas? Thanks for any opinions.

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    My birds never went in the pond. I have a kiddie pool in the run now for the ducks and they never go in there, either. I think they're smart enough not to.

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    :frow Welcome to the forum! :frow Glad you joined us! :frow

How do you keep chickens out of a pond? I know I'm sounding like a smart aleck but don't throw them in.

Chickens have been raised on farms and such with farm ponds for thousands of years. They simply don't go in.

4. DCReporter

DCReporter New Egg

Nov 13, 2012
    Hi there. I'm a writer for the local section of a newspaper in DC and I was looking for Washington region folks raising chickens in their yards. I am trying to do a story on what you do when one of them wanders off. I belong to a few neighborhood listservs in Silver Spring/Takoma Park and every now and then I see posts for lost chickens. I never find out what happens to them. I am guessing chickens getting loose is more common with the rise of urban chicken farms.

If you have a few minutes to chat, I can be reached at shina AT washpost.com

thanks!

5. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    Mine never seem to stick around the kiddypool too much, they aren't stupid.

6. Scumma

Scumma Out Of The Brooder

Nov 13, 2012
    Ventura, CA
    thats good to hear, while searching if chickens could swim or not i saw some posts about drownings in kiddie pools

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by