Any tricks on keeping chickens out of my pond?

Scumma

In the Brooder
7 Years
Nov 13, 2012
Ventura, CA
My girlfriend and I are in the process of building a pond in our backyard, we have 3 full grown chickens, we are trying to think of a way to "train" them to keep out so they don't drown. Any ideas? Thanks for any opinions.

My birds never went in the pond. I have a kiddie pool in the run now for the ducks and they never go in there, either. I think they're smart enough not to.

:frow Welcome to the forum! :frow Glad you joined us! :frow

How do you keep chickens out of a pond? I know I'm sounding like a smart aleck but don't throw them in.

Chickens have been raised on farms and such with farm ponds for thousands of years. They simply don't go in.

Hi there. I'm a writer for the local section of a newspaper in DC and I was looking for Washington region folks raising chickens in their yards. I am trying to do a story on what you do when one of them wanders off. I belong to a few neighborhood listservs in Silver Spring/Takoma Park and every now and then I see posts for lost chickens. I never find out what happens to them. I am guessing chickens getting loose is more common with the rise of urban chicken farms.

If you have a few minutes to chat, I can be reached at shina AT washpost.com

thanks!

thats good to hear, while searching if chickens could swim or not i saw some posts about drownings in kiddie pools

Back
Top Bottom