Any tricks to catch a chicken?

Quote:
Might, it's really better if you have 2 people and try to corner them. If we catch them during the day that's how we do it!! Good luck!
thumbsup.gif

A pool net or a fishing net will be your best friend. Also, ganging up on him helps immensely. Worst time of my life was trying to catch my EE without a net and alone. I think I pulled 10 muscles trying to change directions as quickly as she could. I think she's a mutant.

Thanks all. I went with the fishing net suggestion. Bought one on my way home. Figured it wouldn't be the last time I'd need it... Worked like a charm.
Steve

Hi,

When trying to catch mine for a wing clip I use a butterfly catcher, ( large one) and I have found this very effective.

Hope this helps

If this is a one time, not-oft-to-be-repeated deal, first choice would be off the roost and, short of an embarrassingly large (how many farmers/cowboys/professional boxers/chiropractors/feminists does it take to catch a rooster?) mob of people to help corral Ol' FussandFeathers, the blanket, though not necessarily easy to "throw," is probably a good plan.

If it's something you might do more frequently, I'll just toss out a hare-brained design I used as a kid to catch bullfrogs in broad daylight. In my youth, fish landing nets were still made of a cotton twine mesh, which would rot in time, so that replacement meshes for the hoops were pretty common to find. (That's my one caveat -- since they've gone to all the synthetics and plastics and things in general are replaced rather than maintained or repaired anymore, the search for such a mesh may not be worth the trouble, but -- with the web at your fingertips -- who knows?) Any way, I'd take one of these replacement meshes and weight it with the sort of lead fishing weights that clamp around your line, spaced periodically around the perimeter. A lot of practice and you can throw it with about the same accuracy you'd expect if you were handy at pitching horsehoes. Put a spin on it as you throw it and it will flatten out and fly as a disk. If you throw it so as to cover your target, the net serves its purpose to befuddle any movement toward escape. In the case of the frogs, I would sometimes clip a fishing line to the middle of it to pull it back with, with the weights closing in around the frog to keep him in the net. In the case of your bird, not necessary, you just want something to keep him in place until you can close the last few feet to get hold of him. Even if it doesn't stop him in his tracks (you'll likely not totally entangle or envelop him like a frog) it'll slow him down to where you can catch him.

A little crazy-soundin' I'm sure, but the right flick of the wrist to keep it open while it flies . . . a lot easier than tryin' to throw an open blanket.

Back
Top Bottom