Any way this is NOT going to be a roo?

busyteacher

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 31, 2011
This chick is an approx. 5 week old Buff Orpington. I'm new at this but I'm guessing this comb and wattles points to being a roo since it is so young. Any chance I'm wrong?

Here a picture looking up under his chin.
101984_roo.jpg

Fully body
101984_roo_2.jpg

Just for comparison here is one of his hatching mates. Not the same breed, but this chick hatched around the same day.
101984_brown_.jpg

Thanks!

It's okay. We were actually kinda hoping he was a roo. Our's was killed a few months ago and this one is his offspring. The roo we had was not sociable, but was not aggressive. He just liked to keep to himself and the girls. So hopefully this one will have his good disposition. Now if only the other 8 chicks we have will all be girls!!!!
fl.gif

Quote:
Darn! I was told when that one (the brown one) hatched out, I have two of them, that they would both be hens since they were sex-linked. Buff roo and BR hen. Does this mean they are not really sex-linked?

That brown one does have a significant comb. The other brown chick is in the back of the second picture. It has a much smaller comb. We will only be able to keep one roo with the number of hens we have. How do you go about choosing which one to keep and which to get rid of?

Back
Top Bottom