Any way to catch or kill a hawk....suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
wink.png

Quote:
They trap the birds in the wild. Trust me, I know at least a half dozen falconers. None of them got their red tailed hawk at Petsmart.
wink.png

They are not falconers they are criminals. According to the terms of their permit they may only be in possession of captive-bred raptors. They're nothing more than poachers.

Quote:
They trap the birds in the wild. Trust me, I know at least a half dozen falconers. None of them got their red tailed hawk at Petsmart.
wink.png

They are not falconers they are criminals. According to the terms of their permit they may only be in possession of captive-bred raptors. They're nothing more than poachers.

Absolutely false. You're getting bad information. Why do you think they have a trapping season for them (with a falconry license of course) if it's illegal?

http://apfalconry.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=stateregs&action=display&thread=5292&page=1

http://www.themodernapprentice.com/legal.htm

they're not poachers, you simply don't know what you're talking about.

That is not true, after you pass your falconry exam you have to find a mentor who is either a master or general falconer who will sponsor you. Then you have to pass a facility and equipment test by a DNR officer. Then you can become an apprentice falconer. A apprentice cannot have more that one bird at a time. Its illegal to buy a bird as a apprentice you can be given a bird or you have to trap one. Which thats were the permit comes in, only a certain number are given out a season for each species. In the lower 48 states you can choose from a red tailed hawk or an american kestral. In Alaska you can start with a goshawk. So before you call someone a criminal get your facts right.

I really think this entire thread ought to be locked. In my view, this discussion does absolutely nothing to advance proper animal husbandry of any kind. I think allowing this discussion to continue presents liability problems for whomever runs this board.

I cannot think of anything more heinous than teaching one animal to kill another, and killing raptors is illegal in the United States. Falconry is an obscure and cruel sport that long ago lost its allure in Europe where it originated, and I see little difference between falconry, and dog or cock fighting.

Will one of the Moderators please consider ending this nonsense??

Im a falconer and I will tell you that yes falconers do trap with permits wild raptors for use in falconry however we release them after a few years. Why? The mortality rate of first year raptors is so high on average one out of a nest will live to be a year old. We give them a jump start and confidence they can do what they need to naturally. If you need a raptor trapped and relocated call your local wildlife officer or a falconry club in your area. If anyone without a permit is caught with a feather, talon, or any part of a raptor or a live raptor in your possesion its a federal crime and $25,000 fine and up to 25 years in federal prison. Same goes if you kill it.

Rdavis where are you located? If you need help I can get you in contact with someone who can do so.

Quote:
All you have to do is hit the report button. You don't have to request it in the thread.

What a lot of us seem to forget, disregard, or don't realize is that there are federal and state laws. It is up to each individual to research the laws. Just because cousin Joe said it is OK to do something doesn't mean it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom