Any way to catch or kill a hawk....suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
i second that, the raptor is a protected species for a reason!

RESPECT IT

Last edited:
Hawks do serve a purpose. We understand you are angry about the loss of your flock and we sympathize with you but a fine and jail time aren't worth it. Take measures to protect your flock. That hawk knows where to get an easy meal and will continue to visit your chickens. It may mean having to keep your chicks in a covered run and not allowing free range. Losses from free ranging should be expected. That hawk will tell his friends (if they don't already know). It's our responsibility to protect our animals from predators. These hawks lived here way before we ever did. We need to respect their space.

Our friend killed a hawk as it was after his pigeons!! $ 5,000 dollars later he will try and out smart the hawk next time!

It is pointless to kill the hawk. Another will soon fill its place. Instead protect your birds against raptors, or accept the loss.

We have several hawks here. I saw one a few minutes ago in the back yard. I watched him through the binoculars for a short time and realized how beautiful these birds are. He was sitting in a tree on a small limb. The wind blew the limb and the hawk up and down and back and forth but his head remained in the same place. Pretty awesome birds. I would like to free range my chickens, but they wouldn't last long around here. I chose to live with the hawks and keep the chickens in tractors.

Quote:
I can suggest not talking about the subject on a public forum. Some members might even be inclined to turn in someone who did what you are suggesting. Don't rule that out. On anything of this nature, you are on your own and for your sake, it is best that way.

There are a few things you can do. One if possible string white clothes line in open areas, as much as possible. This works very well, what your trying to do is make the hawk navigate his dive. This gives the chickens time to seek cover. If you don't have a roo get a good gamecock once he establishes his flock he will give a warning crow sending the rest of the flock for cover. If the hawk is stupid enough to try to get a chicken once he is on the ground, he will be dispatched quickly by a good rooster. This is legal and you cannot be fined if your rooster kills the hawk, just call your local game warden to pick the hawk up. A dog will decrease hawk attacks, but then you may have to worry about the dog. It is legal to harass the hawk from your flock, in fact before getting a permit to destroy you must show that you have tried to use other means to scare away the hawk. Buy a fog horn from a marine supply, this will give hens a warning and it will scare the hawk. Throwing things in the air like CDs that will scare the hawk works too. You will not get anywhere near the hawk they are too high, but the hawks vision is good and just doesn't take the risk. If you do not have chicks, and do have crows put out corn for the crows. Crows hate hawks and will attack them in the air, especially if they have young of their own. BUT I have seen crows take chicks.

Be careful that hawks have attacked people, they can leave nasty head wounds. My MIL was attacked by a hawk in FL and had to be taken to the hospital. You have a legal right to protect yourself from any predator even a protected one.

Another thing, even if go against everyone, and you kill it, and think no one has noticed, a bunch of hawks are hooked up with tracking equipment. You dont want fish and game showing up at your door because they notice the hawk hasnt moved in a week, and find it buried, with a gunshot.

Its happened before.

I thought you had the right to protect your livestock! Second they are not an endangered species. So to all who posted its illegal are you 150% sure you cant remove it if you catch it with your dead live stock. I want to here from someone who as had a personal experience with getting fined for killing a hawk, (not you've heard or know someone who has). If so please share your story. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom