Any way to combat crumble dust?

So, I recently switched to pellets because the dust from the crumble feed was causing my chooks to sneeze. They’re eating the pellets with no sneezing, but they definitely aren’t as enthralled. i had a broody hatch chicks close to four weeks ago and this wasn’t a problem at first because I kept the brooder door closed until the chicks were a little over a week old, but since I’ve opened the door everyone wants to eat the chicks’ food when mom takes them outside the coop.

the chick starter isn’t dusty, though when I switch back to the big chickens’ crumbles, is there anyway to reduce the dust so i don’t have a repeat of the sneezing? would i have to sift it?
I switched back to crumble as well, my hens didn't take to the pellets that well. But I changed style of feeders, and this one allows the chunks to fall into the feeding area on top of the dust. When feed gets low, I shake it all out into a bag and refill with new feed. We use the bag of dust to mix with water to make a mash for their evening treat. Also on cold mornings, use warm water to mix along with a sprinkle of oats.
You might remove access to the chick starter when they're out to free range. Chickens are notorious opportunists.

Nope. Or maybe, depends on how you do it.

I have 5 gallon buckets, and am mixing crumble from two bags to make my feed for my flock. 2 scoops of 24% game bird feeder, 1 scoop of 16% layer, repeat, 2 more scoops of 24% game bird. Gives me a 22% protein mix at about 1.5% calcium ( a little higher than I want, honestly) at a cost of about $0.23-0.27/lb (prices just went up). Anyhow, that's 9# of feed to a bucket and fills it about 2/3. Mix, then add water up to the first ring near the top, leaving about 1 1/2" of "head space". Lid, loosely. Set aside two days, mixing periodically. That will feed my flock for three days. I usually prepare two buckets at a time, its never more than 10-12 days when served, usually closer to 5-7. Because its covered by water the whole time, no mold or mildew.

If I don't have enough water, don't mix well, and leave it in the run (which I sometimes do), the last day can turn a little grey on the surface - like oatmeal left next to the sink for a day, but that's it. and I'm in FL, typically hot and humid.

If I had a much smaller flock, then yes, the quantities I make might go moldy with time.

/edit to add Yes, I free choice oyster shell and grit, two locations of each - though my birds seem to get plenty of grit from free ranging the property.

Also, my birds free range all day, with the choice to roam about 4.5 acres, protected by electric fencing. I feed them once daily by scooping the wet feed/wet mash into plastic rain gutters before they settle in for the evening, as an incentive to come to the run before sunset.
I should probably mention how big my flock is. 23 big chickens, 3 chicks & 4 ducks. Occasionally two goats when they decide to break into the chicken coop and eat as much feed from the feeders as they can. Mine free range too and I leave the food in the coop as free choice for them.

I don’t know if I should change how I feed them if I’m wanting to wet the feed. I haven’t had any problems with them not wanting to return to the coop at bedtime ( yet ). Anyways, thanks for this, it’s definitely helpful

I switched back to crumble as well, my hens didn't take to the pellets that well. But I changed style of feeders, and this one allows the chunks to fall into the feeding area on top of the dust. When feed gets low, I shake it all out into a bag and refill with new feed. We use the bag of dust to mix with water to make a mash for their evening treat. Also on cold mornings, use warm water to mix along with a sprinkle of oats.
You might remove access to the chick starter when they're out to free range. Chickens are notorious opportunists.
Mine will eat the pellets but they definitely prefer the crumbles. I had to start shutting the door to the brooder at night because of them wanting to pester mom & chicks to get to the chick food. I don’t like shutting the brooder during the day because mom will bring them back into the coop to let them grab a bite to eat & drink before going back outside. I don’t like leaving her in the brooder all day because she gets antsy and wants to scratch which gets wood chips in the waterer & feeder.

Could you link me to what feeder you use?

I should probably mention how big my flock is. 23 big chickens, 3 chicks & 4 ducks. Occasionally two goats when they decide to break into the chicken coop and eat as much feed from the feeders as they can. Mine free range too and I leave the food in the coop as free choice for them.

I don’t know if I should change how I feed them if I’m wanting to wet the feed. I haven’t had any problems with them not wanting to return to the coop at bedtime ( yet ). Anyways, thanks for this, it’s definitely helpful

Our flocks are quite similar then. I have 5 ducks (still too many drakes, but not enough room in the freezer), 17 22 (forgot the Silver Laced, ooops!) full sized chickens, 4 chicks hatched about a week ago, and 12 eggs in the incubator. We'll be adding goats in the spring, which is why my run (roughly 25x40) is fenced first in woven wire livestock fencing. Just added another run in an L shape around two sides of it that I will use for the goats - used the last of my 330' fence roll, not sure of the sq footage - its only laid out temporarily until I cut some more hickory trees to use as posts.

Someone tells me I'm getting a chainsaw mill and three new chains for the holidays, so I'm thinking a very rustic house for them will be my project of the next couple months...

Mine will eat the pellets but they definitely prefer the crumbles. I had to start shutting the door to the brooder at night because of them wanting to pester mom & chicks to get to the chick food. I don’t like shutting the brooder during the day because mom will bring them back into the coop to let them grab a bite to eat & drink before going back outside. I don’t like leaving her in the brooder all day because she gets antsy and wants to scratch which gets wood chips in the waterer & feeder.

Could you link me to what feeder you use?
It's pretty basic, stock from Tractor Supply - not sure why it works better. May not do for your bigger flock.

Attachments

• 0729201937.jpg
    0729201937.jpg
    573.1 KB · Views: 7
Lucky. Here it's often a month or more.
Just bought a new bag of PFR crumbles, mill date 12-11...I was thrilled.
I suppose...freshness at expense of little to no variety. it’s hard to find any all flock/flock raiser, it’s mostly all layer or meat bird feed at my TSC. I’ve had a someone tell me that layer feed is what he feeds his roosters too and that they’re fine, but then goes on to say that he’s had roosters drop over dead at the ripe old age of 3.

my purina flock raiser is made close and a lot is sold at my feed store. always a few weeks old. The sack i just got was two weeks old. i make a wet mash with the bottom of the bag if it to small and dusty. just enough for one feeding. i use hot water on cold days and they are like oliver twist.

Back
Top Bottom