Any way to mark chicks to tell them apart?

We have actually used a permanent marker and put a dot in their head....worked for us and wears off in about 3 weeks...by then they are feathering out and we can tell the difference in look alikes...

Permanent marker. That's what the hatcheries use when marking chicks in your order. It wears off when the fluff grows out. Then their little legs will be big enough to wear the zip-ties.

I used spiral-type leg bands to identify some of my hens. Had one work its way up the hens leg and cut into the bone. She never used the leg again and had to be put down. Any other ideas or tips to prevent this? MickeyLee

The spiral plastic bands, or any leg bands, need to be watched carefully. Zip ties work well, but have to be changed often as they grow up. Spiral bands fall off, break, or run can run up over the hock and cause injuries. BE CAREFUL with anything you use!
Markers do wear off, and need to be replaced often.
Metal wing bands are permanent, but can't be easily seen.
I use colored zip ties, and wait to put them on until the birds are nearly grown, so they usually don't need to be replaced. Poultry supply houses have them numbered too, more expensive, but useful if you have a lot of birds of the same color.
I use a different color for each year.
Mary

I used spiral-type leg bands to identify some of my hens. Had one work its way up the hens leg and cut into the bone. She never used the leg again and had to be put down. Any other ideas or tips to prevent this? MickeyLee

I am using spiral rings also. So far, so good, but I check them daily to make sure they aren’t causing problems. Mine are loose and hang around close to the foot. Now that you’ve mentioned it, I will be even more careful with them. Thank you!

Do they pick at the food color spots?
They might, but probably not for long.
I use zipties from day one.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/leg-banding-with-zipties.68075/
cover-image

Back
Top Bottom