Any way to tell if they are pure-blood?

bantiesrule

Songster
11 Years
Dec 1, 2008
Long Prairie, MN
Is there any way to tell if these chickens are Seramas or a Serama/OEG cross?

This hen hatched last July. She is smaller than most all my other OEG or Serama hens.

19303_chickens_aug_09_006.jpg

This little chick hatched on July 28 and is smaller then her siblings. She is also black and white which is what my Serama rooster is and my serama hens are all lighter colored while my OEG are more browns and reds. Would black be dominate over brown and red?

19303_chickens_sept_09_003.jpg

(Can you tell yet if its a she or he?)

Last edited:
they look like serama. i think OEG have a little bit longer legs and don't carry there wings down like the beautiful girl in the first pic. the black and white serama chicks looks to be a cockeral. i love seramas. but i could be wrong. i have i think 9 seramas. but i dont know. just going by what i know.

There really is no way to tell if they are pure or not. Even if they look pure, they could still pass on traits that are not standard. If you want purebred stock, you will need to separate during the breeding season.

Quote:
Absolutely! My seramas are NOWHERE near perfect, but they are seramas, and they look like seramas. Both the roosters I will show have won either a best of breed or best bantam.

23256_abrewster2.jpg

His main problem is too small of a chest.

23256_brownieright2.jpg

He is not completely mature, only 8 months old, but he needs higher set wings and longer legs. Back slightly long.

Hen (Reserve of breed):

23256_akitty.jpg

Wings not vertical enough

ETA: My 1,000 post!

Last edited:
Im thinking that your hen is a cross. One of the most undesirable traits in a serama is a long back. Serama should have a very short back in "V" shape..we consider a "U" shape a long back. This bird is more like ] (but sideways
tongue.png
) There is just too much space back there.

Small chickens are the best though!
smile.png
Enjoy!!

Back
Top Bottom