1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Any way to tell if they are pure-blood?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by bantiesrule, Sep 13, 2009.

1. bantiesrule

bantiesrule Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2008
    Long Prairie, MN
    Is there any way to tell if these chickens are Seramas or a Serama/OEG cross?

This hen hatched last July. She is smaller than most all my other OEG or Serama hens.

[​IMG]

This little chick hatched on July 28 and is smaller then her siblings. She is also black and white which is what my Serama rooster is and my serama hens are all lighter colored while my OEG are more browns and reds. Would black be dominate over brown and red?

[​IMG]

(Can you tell yet if its a she or he?)

Last edited: Sep 13, 2009
  2. lotzahenz

lotzahenz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Gosh, I am not a Serama person, but they are just cute cute. [​IMG]

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Black & White one looks like a roo.

4. featheredfriendlover

featheredfriendlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2009
    they look like serama. i think OEG have a little bit longer legs and don't carry there wings down like the beautiful girl in the first pic. the black and white serama chicks looks to be a cockeral. i love seramas. but i could be wrong. i have i think 9 seramas. but i dont know. just going by what i know.

5. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    There really is no way to tell if they are pure or not. Even if they look pure, they could still pass on traits that are not standard. If you want purebred stock, you will need to separate during the breeding season.

6. Ondra's Seramas

Ondra's Seramas Drowning in Seramas

Feb 19, 2009
    North Central WA
    They are definitely not pure seramas.

7. De

De Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    Camden,AR
    Ondra, can you let us see some of your Serama????

8. Ondra's Seramas

Ondra's Seramas Drowning in Seramas

Feb 19, 2009
    North Central WA
    Quote:Absolutely! My seramas are NOWHERE near perfect, but they are seramas, and they look like seramas. Both the roosters I will show have won either a best of breed or best bantam.

[​IMG]

His main problem is too small of a chest.

[​IMG]

He is not completely mature, only 8 months old, but he needs higher set wings and longer legs. Back slightly long.

Hen (Reserve of breed):

[​IMG]

Wings not vertical enough

ETA: My 1,000 post!

Last edited: Sep 17, 2009
  9. BluegrassSeramas

BluegrassSeramas Serama Savvy

Aug 25, 2008
    Central Kentucky
    Im thinking that your hen is a cross. One of the most undesirable traits in a serama is a long back. Serama should have a very short back in "V" shape..we consider a "U" shape a long back. This bird is more like ] (but sideways [​IMG]) There is just too much space back there.

Small chickens are the best though! [​IMG] Enjoy!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by