Anybody a diesel mechanic ??

OldGuy, excellent article. I've used Alage-X with good results. The easiest way to test is to put the contents of your fuel filter in a glass jar, if you see little globs in the bottom you've got algae/water contamination. As far as a leaky injector, if you have white smoke from the exhaust that persists more than 20-25 seconds after start up you have a leaky injector. The biggest down pipe I'd put, if you were keeping it close to stock, is a 4 incher. Your back pressure will come at the muffler before the stack. Straight piping is now a no-no in Texas. I got off with a warning, it now has a muffler.
tongue.png

Last edited:
Thanks OldGuy, I will check the fuel.

What is a cheap and decent down pipe. And the truck is straight piped rite now but its not loud rite now so I doubt it would even get checked.
But when I put the stacks on I probably should get a muffler. Do you know a fairly cheap high flowing muffler that would be good to put on it.
It doesnt white smoke at idel but it does a little when starting it up.

And also I just took the silencer ring out of the turbo and it didn't make as much of a difference as I remember it did on my friends truck. Will the exhaust make the turbo louder as well?

One of the few things I know about diesel engines. Hard starting and white smoke after starting indicates unburned fuel, commonly caused by a defective glow plug. Since a diesel is fired by compression, when first started the internal temperatures in the combustion chamber are to low. The glow plug preheats the combustion chamber to aid starting. Once the engine is running the glow plug is shut off. Don't know if this helps or not.

1. Dodges don't have glow plugs( they use an air heater in the intake)

2. turbo spool is based on how much exhaust gas you can move out based on air used coming in. so if you have a stock air box don't waste your money building a huge open exhaust.

3. if you have a nice open air box like a K & N or better system then you need to expand the exhaust. 4" or 5" pipe is best with a low restriction muffler. do not run without any muffler. it needs minor back pressure to keep the system stable.

4. if you can't get fuel in, the engine has nothing to use to make power. Like a couple people have said does it have a fuel problem now? if so fix it first before you waste money in other areas.

5. Bio crud in fuel . diesel is as close to a an organic compound as fuel gets. algae does grow in it. its a black nasty algae to. if you have it the system act like it can't make power by causing the fuel pump to cavitate. it will ruin your engine. treat the fuel regularly with a good bio guard system cleaner and change filter a few days after every service. that way when it does kill stuff the filters pick it up and you remove it before it goes any further.

I have been looking into an intake already but don't have the money to spend on one at the moment.
What is a cheap and cost effective intake?
I have also been looking into a new air intake horn and was wondering if banks twin ram intake was really worth the extra money.
Does it completely separate the front three and back three cylinders or does in only split up the intake area to help distribute the air more?
And it wont hurt to go ahead with the exhaust before I get an intake would it, because I am getting a set of stacks for next to nothing and would like to go ahead and put them on.
idunno.gif

And thanks everyone for all of yalls posts and information; I do greatly appreciate it.
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom