Anybody Breeding Silver Fox rabbits

The growly doe is just being hormonal is all, probably wants to be bred.

Yup, I'll be in Fulton (This is Dawn BTW!
big_smile.png
I picked a different name for the chicken forum, IDK why
roll.png
) Not sure yet what I will be showing, I may bring two of my blue Jr does for comments, I need to decide which one I am keeping!

And my litter of blues are NOT blue. Drat. They must have just been cold or something, they're def. black now! I was hoping for a blue out of her, guess I have to wait another couple months then.

Am I bringing anything for you to use @ Fulton Gypsy?
bun.gif
I have a new blue buck you can test out...

The doe Gypsy has with the spot is out of one of mine, I have her Sister, who looks Fabulous. She's the doe who kindled yesterday.

Quote:
You nut case LOL right now I am down sizing a bit so I am all set with Fox waitiing to see what my blue gives me out of her great nephew, He carries blue so we shall see, what will make me cranky will be she is blue but a genetic black, so far thats what its been looking like so we shall see..

I have Casey the mother to your doe bred to Adonis the blue I got from Deb hoping for blues.
If nothing else I can breed blue to blue.

Quote:
Most definately ,
age, adult or baby??
I have a trio of unrelated right now, doe has a white spot on her nose but it wont effect Kit color.
I have 2 litters due next month, both litters with blue, unless one decides to skunk me out again.

when would you like to get them , I am not but an hour out of Keene and about 90 minutes to Brattleboro.

I'm pretty flexible but waiting for tax return yet to get a hutch. I am not picky on color or age but want at minimum a pair. The trio sounds like it would work too, parhaps add a blue to such a mix?

You guys seem to be pretty experienced with Silver Foxes, and super helpful for advice (if you're still around here posting). I have a buck and I'd like to know if he's good for show, and how to do it. The sire won 4 legs, we just bought him for 4H. He got a blue ribbon, but no purple as a junior because he was a bit too large (his kindling date was 2 days away from junior cut off).

This is only our second 4H rabbit and we haven't gone to any outside shows. Should I sign my son up for a youth ARBA membership? Would that give me information and registration sheets for the 2 shows we've already visited in the area? Do you just blindly bring your first rabbit to a big show not knowing what to do? Will it stunt the buck if he doesn't win because we don't know what we're doing?

Learning what to do for 4H was hard enough for me. My husband was not a farmer when I married him! He definitely is now, we have 2 farm boys, I'm from the burbs, and I'm the only female around besides the hens left to orchestrate all this!

Last edited:
Hi there,

We breed Silver Fox rabbits for meat. When to breed a doe for the first time depends primarily upon her weight. A doe who hasn't reached full adult weight when she's bred for the first time is likely to stop growing. You'll have a smaller doe, and smaller does produce smaller litters and less milk. Regardless of her age, when she hits her full grown weight (10 to 12 lbs). BTW, is she a blue? The blue color variant is rather highly sought after among SF breeders at the moment. Just thought you should know that.

Hi there. Our buck is not blue, nor do I think the doe that we will get is. I just found out one of the 2 show in our area is on the same day as my son's tae kwon do tournament. I guess he's going to have to choose between rabbits and martial arts. Too bad martial arts is going to win.

Thanks for the info on stunting their growth! We did make it to a show last year after that post, and we are slightly more experienced now. I guess we'll be going to the show in Owatonna in May. There we will probably pick up a doe. A friend of mine would like me to sell some jersey woolies that she got by accident too.

Anyone here still raising silver foxes? I just got my first ones. An experienced doe and buck and we are expecting our first babies.
Would like to talk about all aspects of raising and growing the finishing them.

Welcome, you're going faster than I am! We just got our first doe for mating, I was going to wait until next year for our first litter. They are great show rabbits, but I was also wondering what to do with them if they don't sell. We'll take them to shows trying to sell them, and put ads in the various classifieds. But they are meat and fur rabbits. We don't plan on keeping the young we don't sell. An uncle will teach us how to butcher rabbit, but I would like to save the fur, anyone know how to do that? Mama wants to make a fur coat.

Welcome, you're going faster than I am! We just got our first doe for mating, I was going to wait until next year for our first litter. They are great show rabbits, but I was also wondering what to do with them if they don't sell. We'll take them to shows trying to sell them, and put ads in the various classifieds. But they are meat and fur rabbits. We don't plan on keeping the young we don't sell. An uncle will teach us how to butcher rabbit, but I would like to save the fur, anyone know how to do that? Mama wants to make a fur coat.

The doe that I found has already had one litter. They said she would not show well after cause their body gets longer to accommodate the babies. I was.hoping to get an experienced doe cause I'm such a rookie! :)
I just got another pair that is younger and could show in a couple months if they are good enough.
There was just an article in mother earth news about small farm rabbit hide tanning. I'll see if I can find the link and post it. Didn't sound too bad.

Back
Top Bottom